Top speed Stark Varg

gewoontim

From the reviews I didn't hear any word on the top speed of the Stark Varg. I am planning on converting it to supermoto, and top speed has been an issue with electric motorcycles before (such as the Freeride E and also the Alta didn't have a really high top speed). Does anyone have any insights in this?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Are you worried about keeping up with the traffic, or do you complete with the 450's at the track?

My first reaction is that with 80hp you should have no problem either way. But, just like with the Alta, the big question remains for how long you can maintain the maximum power without overheating something on the bike. The answer is not independently.

Good question. Maybe @fsfs could help us understand how quickly the Alta and the Varg can drain their batteries without overheating, and how much more power they would be able to produce while doing that.

padu

So, something is not adding up. 80HP is roughly 60kW. From what I understand, they sport a 6 kWh battery pack. Yes, 80HP is peak and the battery would be gone in 10 minutes, but I highly doubt I'll be able to use the Varg off-road for more than 1 hour. Non-starter IMO.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
So, something is not adding up. 80HP is roughly 60kW. From what I understand, they sport a 6 kWh battery pack. Yes, 80HP is peak and the battery would be gone in 10 minutes, but I highly doubt I'll be able to use the Varg off-road for more than 1 hour. Non-starter IMO.

Its 80hp maximum output. There's no way anyone will have an average usage of 80hp. The average usage output will be much less than that. Given the Varg appears to have a more thermally efficient battery configuration, it should easily go over an hour on tight trail riding. On the Alta EXR i had, i was able to ride for about 90 minutes in tight single track trails, so the varg should be able to do the same.

enjoythesilenc

For sustained high speed runs on a highway or a dry lakebed, the consumption rate would go way up. I think the gear reduction ratios are going to determine the topspeed rather than lack of horsepower but at high rpm, the motor is going to be fighting itself in field weakening and gobbling current.

The stark is claimed to have better efficiency (so better range) than alta due to the bigger motor being able to operate in its sweet spot more often? I guess this is possible by being able to optimize the gear ratios since there is so much power available.

I can imagine 80hp would be nice on a supermoto but how many places on a motocross track could it be utilized?

wfopete

I asked Stark about that early on this year and was told 85mph ~

Which was cool with me as I wanted something that would be akin to the open class bikes.

That was one thing that turned me off about the Altas was their limited top speed.

Caryder

The Alta has no problem hitting 88 mph (measured with multiple GPS devices) with 15/48 gearing no tuck required. I haven’t tried taller gear ratios. It would pull 88 MPH going uphill and only go 89 down hill. The limiting factor was motor rpm.

happyinmotion

At top speed, a Bugatti Veyron will empty it's fuel tank in twelve minutes. The Stark will do about the same if you're sitting with a wide open throttle, but you'll never do that in normal riding, unless your normal ride is in a straight line across a dry lake bed.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is on my way home today. It is an Alta MXR with SM wheels and 14/45 gearing.

No tuck was needed. I was going in Mode 1 or 2 at about 75mph, then upshifted to Mode 4 and the bike almost pulled a wheelie. It must be gearing limited.

Screenshot_20220824-191930.jpg

SubSonic

on a video man said he got 77mph on stark in 80hp mode - heavy dirt /loam
was new bike so likely stock gearing

Jocke_D

I have done some top speed runs and the Varg-o-phone registered 135kmh when my normal phone (Samsung 1Hz GPS) said 145kmh. The feeling was that the engine maxed out on rpm.
This was with 18" rear and stock gearing (14-48 ?!)