video title: World's First Harescramble Win on Electric Dirt Bike

XEMX1

Yes, Because he raced on Saturday, we had 8 batteries on hand. The Bike Shawn raced was built for Brian Smith.
I made 4 batteries for Brian to race a full hair scramble, but Brian and I race against each other on Sunday.

Each of the five batteries used by Shawn had approx. 55% left of useable power left. These are only 4.3 KW batteries
and when doing our tests/practice he had full power for about 25-30 min. After that he started to feel a slight drop.
Our goal is to have peak power through the race, so we opted to swap every lap. Fastest pit stop Saturday was 8 sec.

In the Sunday race I can go 12 miles/per lap on the same batteries without every feeling a drop. Just shows how hard
Shawn is really going.

Myself, Zack and Shawn
IMG_1555.JPEG

Number Six

Congrats on the great result & great build.
The swappable battery looks to be faster than adding petrol in an ICE bike !
Whats the bike weigh ?
How waterproof is the quick battery swap arrangement ?

B. FRANK

excellent!!! even quicker battery swapping than on a Sur Ron. I sure hope people(and I mean the industry) realize the importance of quick battery changes. I really could see gas stations having battery swap stations like bbq grill propane tanks have. if the industry, moving forward was to grasp the concept and follow this lead they could effectively market electric touring bikes as well as all other types. I was born in 1958 and witnessed the evolution of plastic, the moon landing, first back flip on a motorcycle and now the eventual dominance of the electric engine(motor). what an exciting time to be alive. kudos to the builders of these amazing bikes and to the riders who put them on the podium.

XEMX1

Congrats on the great result & great build.
The swappable battery looks to be faster than adding petrol in an ICE bike !
Whats the bike weigh ?
How waterproof is the quick battery swap arrangement ?
The XE4 #333 is 213 lbs, with the full Metec Titanium Package. But because he is running bib's
it is heavier than the XE4 #4 bike at 210 lbs. The 4.3 KW packs are 48 lbs. The setup is almost perfectly
balanced in the frame, so the extra weight is virtually unnoticeable when riding.

These are prototype batteries and they are NOT waterproof. Splashed many times through mud and water to
the axels, but don't go any further at this point. I remove the batteries and the rest of the bike I can pressure
wash without any issues. The cheap gauge and switches, are the weakest link right now. Everything else is potted.

Tucker from Electric Cycle Rider came to FL and did some test rides and a Photo shoot. Watch his youtube page
a keep a look out for his review.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The XE4 #333 is 213 lbs, with the full Metec Titanium Package. But because he is running bib's
it is heavier than the XE4 #4 bike at 210 lbs. The 4.3 KW packs are 48 lbs. The setup is almost perfectly
balanced in the frame, so the extra weight is virtually unnoticeable when riding.
Which "extra weight" are you talking about? LOL!
This is almost the lightest full-size bike around!

Even if the battery were increased to 5.8 kWh, this bike would still be 30 lbs lighter than the Alta. How can this be?!! Where are those extra 30 lbs of fat on the Alta that we didn't know about?

Number Six

Which "extra weight" are you talking about? LOL!
This is almost the lightest full-size bike around!

Even if the battery were increased to 5.8 kWh, this bike would still be 30 lbs lighter than the Alta. How can this be?!! Where are those extra 30 lbs of fat on the Alta that we didn't know about?
& with twin radiators full of coolant no less !
Astonishing.
o_O

Number Six

It's relevant from the standpoint of ;
Sportsman 2 class winning lap times were around 16 minutes per lap, the A & AA classes were 25 minute laps at the pointy end. ( shortened course for S2, but 5 laps total )
Shaun Clarke is a AA level rider, so it's not surprising that Shawn won handily even with 5 stops.
The event highlights a few things ;
1 - A rider like Shaun Clarke imparts a higher load on machinery than most ever will - a stern ( & successful ! ) test of the XE4's capability & reliability.
2 - E bikes are progressing to a point where their performance can equal or exceed that of an ICE machine if a thoughtful, focused build.
3 - range limitations are still very evident, especially if weight considerations are a forward part of the design philosophy.
I'd venture that builders are impatiently waiting on the next generation of batteries ...