Weird noise/roughness at low power??

Metzger

I notice my bike makes a rough sounding noice when barely applying power, like when I’m riding with my son. On the stand where I can spin the wheel freely, if I very slowly rotate the rear wheel, there’s a pretty rough feel and sound coming from the electric motor area. Is this normal? I’ve got a vid, but figure I’d just ask first before having to post it to YouTube to then link it here. Thanks in advance!
PS I know the chain is tight, I’m in the process of adjusting it now 👍

42A8CA08-8AF8-4D85-9124-40BC29927218.jpeg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
You will hear a lot more noises compared to normal dirt bikes. Without the ICE engine you will pick up on chain noise, chain slap, cogging and a "darth vader" type noise which is the switching noise coming from the inverter. All are normal. EVs are the best!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Yeah, both mine sound like rock crushers when I'm barely creeping along. Although I swear my MXR is a bit worse than the MX. Going to take off the side cover when I change the gear oil this weekend, I think. I was going to check for that loose bolt that was recently posted about at the same time, I guess.

Bike lock up

2018SM-R

Any thoughts on motul vs amsoil severe to quiet down the gear noise under low power? New chain is silent now as well. Is motul 75w90 thinner than amsoil severe 75w90?

Mark911

I have had to replace the right side motor bearing on two Altas who's owners complained of exactly that sound. However, this was above and beyond the "normal, for an Alta" type sound. If the bike's new to you the only way to check is to pull the right side motor cover and using your hand, try and wiggle the pinion gear up and down. If you feel even a bit of slop it's time for a bearing. The Alta manual will tell you how to remove/re-install the cover.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Ty. Hard to tell what normal is though.

Any video would help, also mileage of the bike is ideal. I personally have never pulled the motor bearing, and unless the bikes have gone through quite a bit of wear, should be pretty reliable. (Though i would be suspect of Marks replacements since those bikes have probably gone through alot)

2018SM-R

If anyone could record startup and just getting into the bike cold that would be considered normal it will give me a point of comparison. Appreciated.

Matt

E-Rider
Mine has been sounding a lot louder lately also. I will wiggle the pinion gear and see if there is play. Does liquid have the bearings? I have the tool to remove the gear.