Wen 4,750/3,800-Watt Generator

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
In anticipation of a MXR in the near future, I have to start thinking about generators. I have at my disposal a Generac 7550EXL, 7550 running/13500 surge watts. I can use this generator for remote charging, but I cannot lift it by myself. I prefer to get a generator that I can lift.

Have been reading the trials & tribulations of Alta owners trying to find the "perfect" generator for our intended use. An inverter gen would be my first choice, as it has the cleanest power. As we all know, very few available (Yamaha, Honda & B&S) and with the exception of the B&S model, very expensive. I am currently looking for a used Honda in my price range and closer to home. Although I can't lift it either...

I think noise ought to be a high priority. Another reason I want to upgrade. There is a good chance, that after practice on race day, if my butt is not on the seat, my generator will be charging it. I want to be a responsible neighbor at the races.

Reliability. I do not think I would like traveling 3 to 8 hours away from home to attend a race & my generator go up in smoke (quit charging). In my eyes the Honda EU6500is is the ultimate Alta charger. Only thing is the weight. If I could find an affordable one, I would bolt it down in my trailer & deal with it.

So in looking around I am considering this Wen Generator. Right at 100 pounds, 3800 running watts, electric & recoil start, and a 69dB rating. Even is dual fuel capable, although that feature does not interest me at this time. From what I have found Wen generators are getting favorable reviews. All for about 400 bucks, good customer support & a 2 yr. warranty..

What say the Alta Brain Trust? Thumbs up or down...

wen-portable-generators-df475-64_1000.jpg

Scott

They don't list the total harmonic distortion so that concerns me. I use this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664806_200664806 on 240v with the standard charger. The claim less than 5% tota harmonic distortion and safe for electronics. I also got a 50 foot extension cord so I could get the generator away from everyone to keep the noise down. Noise from the generator was really not a problem because the ICE bikes on the track made far more noise.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
That one looks pretty nice. Good output and has electric start! To be honest, i think most of these cheaper generators are roughly the same generator with different output panels and configurations (like this one has e-start vs pull start).

I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. Maybe if you have it sitting right next to where you are sitting it might get annoying. I usually put the generator on the ground next to my truck, opposite of where i'm sitting with the exhaust facing away from me, so that the truck blocks some of the noise. 70db is not really that much. 4 strokes are louder than that.

Regarding the weight, my Predator 4000 generator is roughly 125lbs with fuel in it. The generator you posted will be a little heavier than that with fuel in it. It can be a bit heavy to lift in and out of the pickup bed by yourself. Often times i'll just ask a buddy to help me lift it, but i have done it myself a couple times. If i had 2 ramps, i'd just wheel it up into the pickup bed.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
They don't list the total harmonic distortion so that concerns me. I use this one Powerhorse Portable Generator 4,000 Surge Watts, 3,100 Rated Watts | Northern Tool + Equipment on 240v with the standard charger. The claim less than 5% tota harmonic distortion and safe for electronics. I also got a 50 foot extension cord so I could get the generator away from everyone to keep the noise down. Noise from the generator was really not a problem because the ICE bikes on the track made far more noise.

Just called WEN.
Said their Gen Sets are less than 23%THD. Ouchies! I will keep looking.

By my calculations the rapid charger specs are 16amps@240V and that would equal 3840 running watts. Your powerhouse 4000 is rated for 3100 watts = 12.92amps. Not enough watts (or amps). Although the 5% THD is extremely attractive.

I tried looking up Honda's inverters THD rating, but they do not list that and it is not in their manual. I am sure a dealer wouldn't know either. Trying to see what the "industry standard" is. (I assume <5%THD)

I might have to give the B&S Q6500 another look...

Top Bottom