Western Maryland offroad 9/11-13

enjoythesilenc

I've got permission from the host to invite a few of my virtual Alta buddies for the weekend. Closest notable town on an interstate is Frostburg.

Its a private enduro loop 10 or 12 miles long with some pretty good elevation change. We usually set up camp at the big building at the bottom of the property. There's plenty of mowed grassy area to set up tents or toyhaulers and a couple of acres of grass on top of the hill, too. There is sometimes a working toilet in the building but you should plan to bring a generator for charging.

Its 2/3 singletrack, 1/3 fire road and the steep parts are pretty challenging/fun. Most people do a lap or two and then chill out before going out again. I usually bring multiple bikes so charging has never been an issue but maybe plan on charging every 2 laps, 3 at the most depending on how you ride.

Night riding is fun, too but most guys are spent or are enjoying beverages by the fire by the time it gets dark. Camping isn't mandatory if you are close enough for a day trip.

snydes

Staff member
I think we are game for this... would be bringing our travel trailer/toy hauler. You guys all arrive Friday?

snydes

Staff member
@Matt , if you are seriously considering this I know a few MX spots somewhat on the way you would really like.

Unfortunately there are not too many members in this area, only other one I can think of off the top of my head is @Trialsman and I’m not sure he’s a group ride kinda dude. This would be right up @OneLapper ’s alley but I’m sure it’s way too far from Connecticut for him to make. @Mikec265 and @Fourth_Floor are Northern PA guys too. That’s all I can think of.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
It does sound like a blast! I'll need to take at the distance but I'm pretty sure its a bit too far for a down and back in a couple days

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Wait... Zero deaths after 8/22? Amazing how the numbers get better and better when you just give up counting. Unless the dude that adds the numbers to the data gets The COVID too, so he just stops reporting anymore.

1598983521436.png

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I was seriously considering this, except for the fact that one of the best places near me for hill climbs just got bought by the local government and they are going to start bulldozing all the most popular hills to discourage riders starting next week. I'm going to go out there every weekend and try to enjoy what trails are left until they block it off or dozer it down.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
So I was seriously considering this, except for the fact that one of the best places near me for hill climbs just got bought by the local government and they are going to start bulldozing all the most popular hills to discourage riders starting next week. I'm going to go out there every weekend and try to enjoy what trails are left until they block it off or dozer it down.
You are practically the Gandhi of restricted dirt bike access! Show them who's boss, and that they cannot take away your peaceful, social-distancing, hill climbs without a peaceful, quiet, electric protest.

snydes

Staff member
Great weekend! I posted a thread with some of our pictures HERE

I have some helmet cam stuff to work on also the next chance I get.

Big thanks to enjoythesilenc for the invite!!