What are the odds that another(even better) EXR-like bike will be made?

BenEXR

I wonder if any other mfgr. is going to pick up where Alta had left off and make a dual sport that is every bit as good as the EXR, if not better.

Zero's dual sporter is nowhere near as dirt-oriented and the "dirtbike with lights" is what I want and need, for now.

I see that the Cake-bike is being promoted but it is not a dual sport.

I will also wonder if the low sales of the EXR will dissuade future possibilities for any mfgr. to try and pick up where Alta had left off and improve on either the MXR or the EXR.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm sure it will happen eventually. Now that it has been done once there is a precedent and benchmark, others will have to prove they can do it too, and possibly better.

And better is inevitable, with the constant advancements being made in battery and EV technology almost daily.

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
I'm sure it will happen eventually. Now that it has been done once there is a precedent and benchmark, others will have to prove they can do it too, and possibly better.

And better is inevitable, with the constant advancements being made in battery and EV technology almost daily.

Already, energy density can be improved with the change to 2170 cells, over 18650.

The new Rivian will use LG-Chem 2170 cells, as does the Tesla Model 3 and PowerWall. The future Tesla Semi and refreshed Tesla Model S and X will also use 2170.

There’s not a lot to be gained with efficiency for inverters and motors... they are both very efficient. Those two components will just get smaller and lighter.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Already, energy density can be improved with the change to 2170 cells, over 18650.

The new Rivian will use LG-Chem 2170 cells, as does the Tesla Model 3 and PowerWall. The future Tesla Semi and refreshed Tesla Model S and X will also use 2170.

There’s not a lot to be gained with efficiency for inverters and motors... they are both very efficient. Those two components will just get smaller and lighter.

Smaller and lighter are the key improvements we dirt bike riders are looking for, so there will one day be an improved version of the Alta possible.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Yah, I don't see much improvement in chassis technology, but the way battery tech is evolving, in 4 or 5 years from now, we will probably be able to build an 8kwh battery that would fit in our bikes stock battery case.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
So in theory we could have a 7KWh battery, assuming we could fit the larger cells into a case that will fit where the current battery sits... I wonder if I would be able to go 50 miles on that?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Those would be the bikes that were part of the Alta test fleet. We took the SM's out to get mileage on them. If you Google the distance from Campbell, CA to Brisbane via the local roads (SM dies on the freeways :( ) you can what was ridden. I don't recall what was the one with the most miles.

I usually rode one when I could and it was quite the ride, especially when sneaking up on Zero's or gas bikes. Smiles and thumbs up every time (except the Zero owner...he tried to give chase).

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
You can go 50 miles already on an Alta. Ive done it over a 100+ times over the past 1.5 years.
On flat pavement at a conservative pace it may be possible, where I ride is neither flat nor paved. Normal ride for me has about 2500ft elevation gain just getting to the trail. And I'm not capable of riding at conservative pace to get there, 35 miles range is about all I can manage.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
On flat pavement at a conservative pace it may be possible, where I ride is neither flat nor paved. Normal ride for me has about 2500ft elevation gain just getting to the trail. And I'm not capable of riding at conservative pace to get there, 35 miles range is about all I can manage.

Conservative riding is something you can't do on the Alta. The SM for me is a local bike within the 20 to 30 mile window. My Vstrom/Car does the long distance.

Reactions: Rix

Rix

Im right there, about 38 miles of technical trail riding with lots of technical climbs.

Rix

Conservative riding is something you can't do on the Alta. The SM for me is a local bike within the 20 to 30 mile window. My Vstrom/Car does the long distance.
Its almost punishment to ride our machines slow and easy.