What might have been

Mikec265

Just looking at those smoother shrouds makes my knees feel better. I ride a lot with my kid and don't put all my gear on to just putt around the pitbike track. The inside of my knees are almost always a little sore because it's so quick and easy to just hop on and play ride a little here and there on the bike.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Does a community member have the ability to print a part this large? I have access to a faro laser scanner, so I could get a very good 3d model of the shrouds (and number plate), however when I initially asked around for quotes on having these molded it was outside my price point so I never scanned them. But if we can print a part this large, then I will get them scanned and then we could modify the model to make these newer versions. Still doesn't address our subframe and fender woes, but we could have 3d printed shrouds and number plates all day.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Currently, I don't have a 3d printer large enough to print a full size shroud. However, i do plan on making side number plates here pretty soon.

That said, I'd want John's permission to use his design before i even thought about trying to print them.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
They break too easily.

Depends on the type of plastic used. Some thermoplastics, like PLA, are hard but brittle. Others, like PETG, offer incredible strength while allowing some flexibility. Others, like Nylon, are incredibly strong and rigid.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Depends on the type of plastic used. Some thermoplastics, like PLA, are hard but brittle. Others, like PETG, offer incredible strength while allowing some flexibility. Others, like Nylon, are incredibly strong and rigid.
With FDM 3D printed parts, the bond between layers will always be a weak spot, regardless of material.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
that shroud plastic looks to aesthetically pleasing & nicer on the knees - I'd be up for a set barring price point

Judaslefourbe

When testing, the parts would last about 1.5 rides with a professional rider. I would expect the parts to last longer with "normal" people, but I worry they would still not last long.