When does the battery begin reducing power?

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
I have a grand total of 0.9 hours on the 2019 EXR, virtually all of which is going around in circles behind my shop.

While starting from fully charged:

1) after 0.5 hours, the energy indicator showed about 75% SOC

2) after 0.4 hours, the energy indicator showed about 25% SOC

My riding was nearly indentical in both (and maybe harder in the first event). One change is riding in Mode 3 on day 1, and Mode 4 on day 2, although actual power used wasn’t noticeably different. I think I actually prefer Mode 3.

The real question is it appeared that peak power was already reducing at 25% SOC.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I would suggest the appearance of reduced power is more likely you are becoming accustomed to the machine. While I have not formally raced my bike, I have done some full power riding for extended periods, and have not perceived any reduction of power.

Could just be differences in expectations too. As you ride more, you will figure it out.

snydes

Staff member
I've only experienced it when the bars start flashing, and then it's just a peak power reduction I believe.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I have a grand total of 0.9 hours on the 2019 EXR, virtually all of which is going around in circles behind my shop.

While starting from fully charged:

1) after 0.5 hours, the energy indicator showed about 75% SOC

2) after 0.4 hours, the energy indicator showed about 25% SOC

My riding was nearly indentical in both (and maybe harder in the first event). One change is riding in Mode 3 on day 1, and Mode 4 on day 2, although actual power used wasn’t noticeably different. I think I actually prefer Mode 3.

The real question is it appeared that peak power was already reducing at 25% SOC.
I had a ride a while back where my "battery indicator" showed one flashing bar left of SOC. When I whacked the throttle, I still had full power going down the block. If I didn't have the battery meter, I wouldn't have even been able to guess how much juice I had left. Of course, I do ALL my riding in MAP2. Its the perfect map for me. Maybe in Map 4 I may have had some reduced power deliver, but I am only speculating.

Fod

I ride mostly in map 2 now so I can get as much ride time. Before the bars start flashing at around 25% charge, I notice a significant power loss. It's enough that I get off the track if I'm going to recharge or click to map 3 to continue backsiding 2 jumps at a track I frequently ride at.