Alta throttle - all there is to know

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
An overkill is good when you have 50-80 horses between your legs and you are relying on being able to control them properly to accelerate and clear a big jump and then slow down and not launch off a bowl turn's berm into the grandstands. Can't have accidents like this happen due to a loose wire or some silly single potato chip malfunction. Else, riders will sour on the throttle-by-wire technology and go back to the iron age.

Oded

This guy have a YouTube channel where he reviews, from an electrician's point of view, different DIY emotorcycles components. He is great.

However, he is mostly into homebuilt & Surron type components, and not Alta & Stark specs. That's why he is surprised at the super high quality of this throttle. He is not used to it in my opinion.

EDR1

Here is a Alta (Hirchmanm) throttle tear down by an electrician. He explains well what differ it from other throttles -

Excellent teardown. The 2-sensor design might be used for redundancy AFTER startup checklist but BEFORE startup, it is used as a parity check to confirm throttle position. Both sensors are required to work or the ACM will not pass the startup checklist. Here is a link to their datasheet: https://www.hirschmann-automotive.com/downloadFile/304 and here are the pinouts and voltages:
1692481203178.png

Number Six

Anyone who made it past the 5 or 6 minute mark deserves a medal & would be a good special ops candidate for their proven ability to withstand even the worst of interrogation tactics.

Trialsman

OK, so the idea I wanted to explore is to interrupt the signal wire/wires back from the throttle to the ECU. I wanted to pass them through another "throttle" on a lever to make an electric clutch. This would be so handy ( no pun intended ) for lofting the front end for obstacles in rough single track. The lever would provide precise deployment of power, as opposed to the gross motor skills of a wrist throttle only. Any ideas?

EDR1

OK, so the idea I wanted to explore is to interrupt the signal wire/wires back from the throttle to the ECU. I wanted to pass them through another "throttle" on a lever to make an electric clutch. This would be so handy ( no pun intended ) for lofting the front end for obstacles in rough single track. The lever would provide precise deployment of power, as opposed to the gross motor skills of a wrist throttle only. Any ideas?
I don’t see that working even if the Alta safety checks were bypassed because a real clutch works by capturing the flywheel action of the motor which is a lot more instantaneous power than the power band of electric bikes w/o that feature. My workaround is to keep the stock MXR 12T/53T gear ratio for good wheel torque, (or possibly go to 11T/53T) stay in Map4 , flick the throttle and use appropriate body English as needed. That’s a long way of saying it’s cheaper to buy a bike designed to do that. If you like trials riding then look at Electric Motion.

Number Six

The terms ; 'interrupt the signal' & 'precise deployment of power' would seem contradictory as signal interruption is on / off by definition.
Clutches on the other hand meter power as gradually or quickly as desired via the amount & speed of lever movement imparted by the user.
Maybe if a 2nd throttle device or lever incorporated some sort of fast acting, short throw rheostat one could emulate the action of a traditional mechanical clutch ?

Electric Motion's solution is indeed a mechanical clutch, one would think if it could've been done electronically, they'd be the ones to pull it off ;

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.57.02 AM.png

Number Six

Incorporated into a lever somehow ? That'd be great.
Maybe it'd be able to be used on several different E-bikes ...
If you were to succeed - patent that thing & enjoy the royalties from licensing that holy grail of e-bike drive trains to OEM's !