New mod today - Added Stark LHRB

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't you guys who have done this awesome mod scared that pressure from the handlebar lever will pop out the sight glas on the "foot master" ???
The chamber that has the sight glass is actually vented to the atmosphere through the threads of the standard vent cap. It has to be, else how would the air enter that chamber when you wear out your brake pads and the fluid level has to go down?

When you install a Clake insert properly, it has a ~40mm tube and an O-ring at the bottom that seal the insert to the brake cylinder at the bottom of that chamber, not at the top. The sight glass chamber will still be vented to the atmosphere. The glass will not pop out. It will pop out only if the O-ring at the bottom leaks and the increased pressure in the chamber can't escape.

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
This is what I made for my ALTA.
It looks like the brake reservoir of the STARK is simular.

If you see oil in your sight glass, and you had an empty reservoir when installing the insert, there is a problem.
Probably the bottom o-ring is not in its place.
When installing it helps to grease the o-ring a little, so it sticks better to the bottom of the insert while mounting.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I made for my ALTA.
It looks like the brake reservoir of the STARK is simular.

If you see oil in your sight glass, and you had an empty reservoir when installing the insert, there is a problem.
Probably the bottom o-ring is not in its place.
When installing it helps to grease the o-ring a little, so it sticks better to the bottom of the insert while mounting.

View attachment 10743

View attachment 10744

View attachment 10745
Awesome engineering and machining!

I would remove the top O-ring though. If the bottom O-ring leaks, the top O-ring will not prevent the brake fluid leak. It will help to build up the hydraulic pressure in the expansion chamber and pop the sight glass out.

AL_V

This is actually a good question, because I do have a sight glass on the LHRB, who is to say the pressure could blow this window out, there is no adapter to protect this sight window…
With the clake sleeve system, the hand master cylinder acts as a reservoir for the foot master cylinder.
So it will not be pressurized by stepping on the foot brake.
When stepping on the foot brake, the pressure is applied only toward the caliper.

jokerio

Thanks for the explanation!
I saw the sleeve thing after I commented but was still curious since brake fluid can be seen in the pics.
Must be some fluid left and visible in the sight glass unless you clean it out before mounting the sleeve I guess?!?!

I'm ordering one of those sleeves right now !!
You see fluid in the sight glass because the foot brake is still operated normally and the fluid you see is for that, and not under pressure (same as before)

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
You see fluid in the sight glass because the foot brake is still operated normally and the fluid you see is for that, and not under pressure (same as before)
The footbrake uses the reservoir of the handbrake in this setup.
Which is also vented when you don't press the hand lever.
If your footbrake reservoir was completly empty when installing the insert.
And it now shows oil in it, then the o-ring on the bottom of the insert is not placed correctly and therefore leaking.
If this is the case, you put pressure on the footbrake reservoir when you use the handbrake lever.

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
Awesome engineering and machining!

I would remove the top O-ring though. If the bottom O-ring leaks, the top O-ring will not prevent the brake fluid leak. It will help to build up the hydraulic pressure in the expansion chamber and pop the sight glass out.
I like the idea of not getting any dirt/water in the reservoir.
And if you have a leak on the bottom o-ring you know instantly because the hand brake will get very spongy.
Then you could still use the footbrake without a problem.

Foss

Bad news guys, Stark is stating this modification voids the warranty. So I would tread carefully with this type of setup regarding the warranty. My original intentions was to reach out seeing if their supplier would precut the hydraulic line and this was their answer. Aren’t we protected by the Lemon Law?

IMG_5361.jpeg

HadesOmega

Cool would that Clake adapter work for a stock Redshift SM? I'd like to get a Stark LHRB lever/master and brake line for my SM.

HadesOmega

Saw this at Motoz looking for the Clake adapter

It's a Brembo LHRB kit for foot brake Vargs. So there's another option if you'd like to run a Brembo.

IMG_7155.jpg
IMG_7157.jpg

fred900

Saw this at Motoz looking for the Clake adapter

It's a Brembo LHRB kit for foot brake Vargs. So there's another option if you'd like to run a Brembo.

View attachment 10786
View attachment 10787
What brake line did you use? I got the Brembo adapter from Bevel Heaven Vintage & Classic Ducati Restoration & Spare Parts (925)798-2385 . And I got theReactoex Racetorx Stark Varg Duel brake kit. - Racetorx because the top brake line has the screw in on the Brembo and with the adapter It will go straight in for a clean look like yours.