2017 MX Shock Options

Ok, looking for a few answers to some questions please.

I am planning a full suspension swap out on my 2017 MX, i know all the front forks i am looking at will fit as i am also going with Xtrig's, so this is only for the rear shock, and would really like to know what will fit.

Reading through a lot of old threads and some info like the MX/MXR shocks are not interchangeable without modification to the subframes for reservoir clearance due to the upper shock mounting points being machined in the bulkheads at different locations (Snydes). This is now making me think that the newer KTM fitment rear shocks are no good for the MX.

I read that there is a difference in the rear shock length from searching this forum between a the 2017 MX and the 2019 MXR?.

So that means say if i find a full set up from Ohlins for a late KTM (front will work fine) & it has a Flow rear shock that will not fit my 17 MX?.

I am looking into either :

Full Ohlins front and rear, so as i have read its the TTX44 that will fit not the Flow version. But then have seen the TTX44 on the new 2018+ bikes?.
KTM KYB A-Kit by Technical Touch - will the rear shock be the correct length?.
Cone valves but the new Xact Pro versions and the new style "slanted" rear shock - not seen any bike fitted with this rear shock let alone the old 17 MX version.

Just need to know what will fit...

Any help welcome please, if you have any of the above fitted to a 2017 MX Alta only then please do post up some pics and info on what you have fitted, then i can use that info to hopefully get sorted first time.

Cheers.

rayivers

Yes, it looks like there definitely is a clearance problem, or at least the potential for one:

Alta Shock Top Moounts (2017 MX, 2018 MXR).jpg

Fwiw, the shock on the right (2018 MXR) is 475mm eye-eye. Hopefully someone here who's actually changed out the 2017 shock will chime in. I wouldn't worry too much about shock overall length within 10mm or so, imo there's more than enough rear sag / fork height adjustment available to get it where you want it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It's worth keeping in mind that the MX/EX rear shock is the same model as the the 2014-2016 KTM rear shock. So you can call major suspension tuners and search the internet for 2014-2016 KTM shocks.

Reminder: you can swap the dog link to the MXR which will give you a more aggressive damping curve (if that's what you're looking for).
Hi, thanks for the reply - Yes i did read your post back a while ago saying this info, but i don't think it will help with fitting a newer shock onto the old 17MX. But thank you for posting.
Yes, it looks like there definitely is a clearance problem, or at least the potential for one:

Fwiw, the shock on the right (2018 MXR) is 475mm eye-eye. Hopefully someone here who's actually changed out the 2017 shock will chime in. I wouldn't worry too much about shock overall length within 10mm or so, imo there's more than enough rear sag / fork height adjustment available to get it where you want it.
For sure, looked at my two bikes and no go.
Thanks for the shock size, and good info for the lengths.. noted!.
I have seen a few Ohlins fitted on here, but not one on the older 17MX.
By the way, awesome what you have managed to do with your Ohlins!...way to go there...how i wish i understood it all a 1/4 as much as you do!. Well done.
It's worth keeping in mind that the MX/EX rear shock is the same model as the the 2014-2016 KTM rear shock. So you can call major suspension tuners and search the internet for 2014-2016 KTM shocks.
No one wants to know when you mention an Alta!. But yes thank you, i have already been into it and it seems like the KT-1593 is the one i need. Product | Öhlins
I will keep at it, just would have been nice to see a old MX with some different rear shock set up's, i know Alfie who i mentioned in my other post had a full Cone Valve set up but with that old ones with the Trax shock that everyone turn's off!. A good looking bike tho for sure!....

Alfalt.jpg

Also - found this from Mark - on his post back in '17 about his MX and fitting a trax shock : "The frame will need some grinding to mount the Trax shock (2015 or older model)."

What a total shame and a sad state this place has got that one of the very first people to own one of these awesome bikes, and someone with so much knowledge and the ability to actually share and want to help....is gone.

s1200_IMG_0522.jpg

rayivers

Thanks for the kind words regarding my Ohlins. My suspension needs are pretty simple but making them happen is a real challenge sometimes (but fun). I've read Race Tech's 'Motorcycle Suspension Bible' cover-to-cover several times which really helped a lot, and it's great to actually look inside forks / shocks and see what's going on, maybe getting it working a bit better for specific needs if possible.

Based on the images and fitment info below, I agree the KT 1593 may well bolt right onto the '17 MX (it'd be great to have full measurements first, though). 490mm seems a bit long, but I'm not sure of the eye-eye length of the '17 MX WP shock so maybe it's not a full 15mm longer. Looks like a nice unit.

Ohlins KT 1593 Shock (2017 Alta MX).jpg

054175202_1-a362259b496b949853c327ce907d0a85.png
I knew at least one of us got a Trax shock to work on an Alta - no surprise Mark did - and it looks like your bud Alfie's done a great job too.

Bodie_Z

Ive been looking around for a spare shock for my MX and it seems like its actually 2012-2015 KTM rear shocks. the 2016s look like they have a crown more similar to the MXR shocks.

2012 250 SX-F
u%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F03%2F250STATIC12.jpg
2016 250 SX-F
cycle.com%2Fmotorcycles%2F2016%2F2016-KTM-250-SXF1.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been looking around for a spare shock for my MX and it seems like its actually 2012-2015 KTM rear shocks. the 2016s look like they have a crown more similar to the MXR shocks.

2012 250 SX-F
View attachment 8659
2016 250 SX-F
View attachment 8660
Hmm... Maybe you are right. I thought KTM switched to the AER48 air fork and a shorter rear shock in 2017?? Maybe they switched to the shorter rear shock earlier. But regardless, any rear shock that is compatible with the 2014-2015 KTMs would definitely fit the Alta MX/EX/SM.

The 2016 KTM 250 SX was the very last of the "old" suspension.

2016-KTM-250-SX1.jpg

Its all annoying tho, as i had the full set up years ago on a 2014 250 SX!....

20190720_160020.jpg