2018 Alta MXR Shock Re-Spring and Re-Valve

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Since people are talking about stock suspension I decided to take a look at what my bike came with.... the rear shock spring has WP 63-265 on it. My bike is a 2017 MX that was used as a demo. It appears that the dealer changed the suspension.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Since people are talking about stock suspension I decided to take a look at what my bike came with.... the rear shock spring has WP 63-265 on it. My bike is a 2017 MX that was used as a demo. It appears that the dealer changed the suspension.
No, you have a stock MX spring and suspension. The MX has a different linkage and runs a heavier spring.

Josh402

Matt -- that 64 N/mm spring should be a great upgrade for the MX @Josh402

I had been trying to find someone local who can do suspension revalves to no avail, till you mentioned Kreft Moto. Though not local, looking at their site, they seem to make it an easy process. I guess it'd be better to call them directly since their rider info form doesn't have Alta listed?

Fog 25

I am working with Bryan at N2Dirt right now on some base line suspension setting for the MXR. Will let you know how it’s coming along.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I had been trying to find someone local who can do suspension revalves to no avail, till you mentioned Kreft Moto. Though not local, looking at their site, they seem to make it an easy process. I guess it'd be better to call them directly since their rider info form doesn't have Alta listed?
Kreft Moto makes awesome stuff. Their products new and original, they do their own development both at the track and on a dyno.

They do not have their own shim stack specs for the MX yet, and are unlikely to have them soon. They can put in the factory recommended shim stack specs though, that's easy. I can email you those specs. You can take them to Kreft Moto or to any other suspension shop.

Josh402

Kreft Moto makes awesome stuff. Their products new and original, they do their own development both at the track and on a dyno.

They do not have their own shim stack specs for the MX yet, and are unlikely to have them soon. They can put in the factory recommended shim stack specs though, that's easy. I can email you those specs. You can take them to Kreft Moto or to any other suspension shop.
Yes I’d like to have those.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Whoever wants the Redshift MX factory recommended shim stack specs for the 4CS fork and the MX shock, please PM me your email address where you want these sent. Thanks.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
So did any of you have success asking Alta to fix the lack of rebound damping in the shock under warranty? It definitely feels like they took the shock off a KTM 450 and installed a stiffer 6.0 spring and sent it. Its severely under damped in the rebound department.

Reactions: Fod

Fod

So did any of you have success asking Alta to fix the lack of rebound damping in the shock under warranty? It definitely feels like they took the shock off a KTM 450 and installed a stiffer 6.0 spring and sent it. Its severely under damped in the rebound department.
Both compression and rebound are both completely too far light!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It is not a warranty or a recall item. The shock is not broken, unsafe to ride, or horrible. There are even some riders who do not find anything wrong with it. It is just not as stiff as many of us would like it to be.

I tried to get Alta to share stiffer shim stack specs for the MXR, but as of two months ago they did not have any.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
It is not a warranty or a recall item. The shock is not broken, unsafe to ride, or horrible. There are even some riders who do not find anything wrong with it. It is just not as stiff as many of us would like it to be.

I tried to get Alta to share stiffer shim stack specs for the MXR, but as of two months ago they did not have any.

For motocross, at times, it does seem a bit unsafe. When the shock pogo's so much that the rear tire nearly lifts off the ground after landings, that's a major problem. Check out this short clip of me on a demo bike where I went over this roller and the shock over rebounded and the rear tire nearly came off the ground:

http://instagr.am/p/BlR4u-8D1hz/
I can't imagine this level of rebound damping works for any rider less than 250 lbs. Mod 1 will definitely be new valving in the shock. The forks seem pretty good as is.

Fod

I think it's horrible. First time I had to revalve stock stacks. Not asking for amazing, just ballpark.

Fod

Ok, you've won, I admit, it is horrible. If it weren't for KTM owning WP, WP would have been out of business 20 years ago.
But I don't think the mxr suspension components are bad....I think Alta dropped the ball in testing and spec'd horrible valving. The only thing I think that was correct was spring rate.