2018 Alta SM totally dead

afblock

Hi all.

I turned on my SM a couple months ago and it had about 30% charge. I hadn't charged it in about a year but also hadn't ridden as I was busy with a move.

Yesterday I went to charge it up and the keyswitch did nothing at all. I plugged in to 120V power (confirming the outlet was good) and still nothing, including after toggling the key back and forth a bunch of times.

Can anyone help with my next diagnostic / repair step?

Many thanks!

/afb

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hi all.

I turned on my SM a couple months ago and it had about 30% charge. I hadn't charged it in about a year but also hadn't ridden as I was busy with a move.

Yesterday I went to charge it up and the keyswitch did nothing at all. I plugged in to 120V power (confirming the outlet was good) and still nothing, including after toggling the key back and forth a bunch of times.

Can anyone help with my next diagnostic / repair step?

Many thanks!

/afb

Check the 9V battery inside the ACM.

Brad 594

Last April, my 2018 MXR had intermitted black screen dead (no sound or noise from bike) when key was turned to On position. I suspected the 9 Volt to be the culprit. I successfully replaced the 9 volt battery and that solved the problem and it has not happened since. I had read many posts that the original 9 volt battery was the Energizer Advanced Lithium. However, when I opened my ACM, the battery was an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. Fortunately, the Energizer Ultimate Lithium is easy to find at many stores. Also, I was able to maneuver the ACM and get the access cover removed (it definitely tried my patience) to replace the 9 volt without pulling the main battery and disconnecting all the other stuff. Good luck.