24 Hour Race Equipment/Logistics/Stratiges Considerations

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
It was cold, but I think the length of the laps at starvation ridge was what saved us, there was adequate time to charge 2 bikes at a time. Also, our team consisted of 4 A packs and 2 R packs.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The length of the laps, actually, does not matter. In order to keep racing, you have to be discharging the one bike on the track slower than you are charging the (one/two/three/four) bikes in the pits.

snydes

Staff member
There are good things to be learned from all these experiences. I'm sure the heat did come into play on the NE race, as it was very hot to begin with. Philip bought one of those misting fans for the event to cool the batteries but we ended up using it on the riders instead. We never had a chance to time the charging to see how much the chargers may have been cutting back unfortunately. We also didn't have all 3 bikes charging all the time, just a few times to catch up if we were getting behind. From my perspective what seemed to jam things up from a charging standpoint was when a fast guy would come back sooner, with a lower SOC, and a hotter battery.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Fast riders, and also sand and mud drain the batteries quicker. And the ambient heat slows down the charging. So, sometimes you may need to have more bikes charging at once.