240V Gasoline Generators

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am shopping for a 240V generator. I want to charge the bike at the track between the motos quickly. Need something small, light, cheap, and quiet. Preferably with an electric start. Pick two, right?

Did a quick Google search. There is a bunch of 220V generators on Alibaba and such, priced around $200. Poorly written specs, sketchy.

I haven't searched Harbor Freight, but I heard the ones they sell are loud.

Buying used on eBay -- it's a crapshoot.

EDIT: I came across this the Durostar DS4000S sold at Home Depot. Awesome specs and reviews. One of the best sellers on Amazon too. However the Home Depot site was wrong, it is just a 120V generator. The search continues.

snydes

Staff member
Actually I think that is good for a 240v generator. All the comparable Honda’s in this category are rated slightly higher in dB, and everyone raves how quiet the Honda’s are.

snydes

Staff member
Something don’t jive with the specs or I’m missing something. The front panel shows only 120v capability and the specs on Home Depot’s site match that. As far as I’ve seen nobody has a small 240v generator, they are all the big old whole house size.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Both of these Home Depot generators are 120 only. False alarm, sorry. They still somehow came up under my 240V searches.

It is probably safer to get stuff shipped from Alibaba than Home Depot. At least you know you will be getting 220-240V.

snydes

Staff member
That’s ok, I’ve been reading up on 240v generators myself. I have one already, an older 5500 watt generac that I will take with if needed, but I was curious what better, quieter units were out there. A lot of good information and comparisons online on 120v portable units, but not a lot that I’ve seen on 240v.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
1) Firman P03605 Performance Series 3650 Watt 120/240 No Wheel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1OUN6Y
Price: $355 shipped
Weight: 102 lb
Noise: 76 dB (needs verification)
Amazon: 4.5 stars
Comments: No wheels, possibly the loudest

2) DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BMDFPS
Price: $386 shipped
Weight: 120 lb
Noise: 69 dB
Amazon: 4.1 stars
Comments: Electric start, wheels

3) DuroStar DS4400, 3500 Running Watts/4400 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L1FOE4
Price: $450 shipped
Weight: 115 lb
Noise: 69 dB
Amazon: 4.2 stars
Comments: Wheels

4) Rosewill 3300 Running Watts / 3850 Starting Watts / 7.5 HP, Gas powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit, RTPG 4500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJBXLJW
Price: $400 shipped
Weight: 108 lb
Noise: 68 dB
Amazon: No reviews
Comments: Wheels

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I've pulled the trigger on Generator #2 -- DuroMax XP4400E
index.jpg
The wheel kit is a must. The electric start is cool. I would not want to pull the cord every time I want to turn it on (which will likely be several times a day). There are also generators with remote wireless starters, but none of them are 240V.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I’m being told that standard voltage in Australia and the UK is 240, so unless there is something I’m missing this might open up a lot more compact generator choices...,

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=inverter generator&ssPageName=GSTL
Yes, and it is 220V in the rest of the world, more importantly in China.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/220v-portable-generator.html

What they do not have in the rest of the world is trusted user ratings, detailed specs, free shipping, free returns, and product support. When you factor these into account, any cheap generator on Amazon or at Home Depot is starting to look like a screaming deal.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Got my DuroMax XP4400E in the mail this week.

The lawn mower seems to be overpowering my camera's microphone. The lawn mower's loudness in the video seems about the same as the generator, but in real world the lawn mower appears to be about 2x louder.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Phillip, How long does it take the DuroMax to charge your bike from EMPTY (or 1/4?).
Sorry, I do not know that, and may never will. I only use it to top off the battery between motos.

I wish I could have given your a partial charge time reference, but I still haven't made a 240V adapter for my Standard charger. And I am still waiting for my Rapid charger.

Fog 25

Look at harbor freight 4000. Works great for me. I just pull mine to the backdoor on the van and let it run. But if i have to I can pick it up to put it in or out of the by myself. You can fine it on sale for $280.

Fod

Look at harbor freight 4000. Works great for me. I just pull mine to the backdoor on the van and let it run. But if i have to I can pick it up to put it in or out of the by myself. You can fine it on sale for $280.
The track fog and I rode last had 220 outlets and so I plugged in and fog used his generator. The generator charges the battery up much more quicker then the wall outlet. Next time we go I'll take am oem meter and check voltage and amps. Anyone can tell me how to do this though on a 4 prong outlet?

Fod

Thanks! I'll try the link directions, but that plug is different. I wonder why generator charges faster. Maybe all the house/building wiring creates enough resistance that at the plug the power is reduced?!?!? Just talking out loud from my butt...I have no clue what I'm taking about. :poop:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The track fog and I rode last had 220 outlets and so I plugged in and fog used his generator. The generator charges the battery up much more quicker then the wall outlet. Next time we go I'll take am oem meter and check voltage and amps. Anyone can tell me how to do this though on a 4 prong outlet?
Checking voltage is simple, but to check the amps you need an amp meter that won't burn up at 240V and 16A. Those are connected in series with the load, AFAIK, so you will need to make a small extension cord with an ohm meter in it. Not a quick task.

Hope I did not misinform here. I know almost nothing about electricity, this is why I started this forum. :geek:

snydes

Staff member
Disclaimer!!! I only know enough to be dangerous so be careful following my electrical advice.

If you are using the plug I think you are using, the prong with the “hook” is ground and the prongs 90 degrees in either direction are the hot legs. The other one is neutral which isn’t used.

AB6096F1-EDC8-43E9-9E9B-F0C718550990.jpeg

Reactions: Fod

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out it is simpler than I thought, but you will need this tool and you will have to strip and separate some wires from a wire cable.

Top Bottom