240V Gasoline Generators

Fog 25

The track fog and I rode last had 220 outlets and so I plugged in and fog used his generator. The generator charges the battery up much more quicker then the wall outlet. Next time we go I'll take am oem meter and check voltage and amps. Anyone can tell me how to do this though on a 4 prong outlet?
Remind me and I’ll bring up my meter next time we go riding.

Fod

Turns out it is simpler than I thought, but you will need this tool and you will have to strip and separate some wires from a wire cable.

I don't have that tool. I think voltage is most important to test!

bluefxstc

The track fog and I rode last had 220 outlets and so I plugged in and fog used his generator. The generator charges the battery up much more quicker then the wall outlet. Next time we go I'll take am oem meter and check voltage and amps. Anyone can tell me how to do this though on a 4 prong outlet?
Were they the same type of charger? The source of the power (generator vs wall) shouldn't make much of a difference if the chargers are the same. The same type of charger should charge at the same rate if using the same type of power (120 vs 240). The voltage measurement should tell you everything you need to know. The charger should pump out about the same amount of power at any AC voltage over about 200 Vac. The chargers I use on electric vehicles have an input range of 85-265 Vac, but at lower voltages throttle back their output to avoid pulling to much current and popping circuit breakers. Are you sure that the outlet you thought was 240 wasn't actually a 120 outlet? It could look like and be labeled as 240 but only have 120.

Fog 25

Were they the same type of charger? The source of the power (generator vs wall) shouldn't make much of a difference if the chargers are the same. The same type of charger should charge at the same rate if using the same type of power (120 vs 240). The voltage measurement should tell you everything you need to know. The charger should pump out about the same amount of power at any AC voltage over about 200 Vac. The chargers I use on electric vehicles have an input range of 85-265 Vac, but at lower voltages throttle back their output to avoid pulling to much current and popping circuit breakers. Are you sure that the outlet you thought was 240 wasn't actually a 120 outlet? It could look like and be labeled as 240 but only have 120.
We will be metering it next time there.

rayivers

The source of the power (generator vs wall) shouldn't make much of a difference if the chargers are the same.

It can if the waveform shapes are different. AC utility power is often a slightly distorted sine wave, but generators & inverters can put out all sorts of 'modified sine' waves, some of which resemble stepped square waves. A 240VAC sine wave = 240V RMS, but a pure square wave can supply over 300V RMS; usually generators are somewhere in between. A good meter will likely show the sine-square voltage difference to some extent, but most meters won't.

ElectroBraap

Look at harbor freight 4000. Works great for me. I just pull mine to the backdoor on the van and let it run. But if i have to I can pick it up to put it in or out of the by myself. You can fine it on sale for $280.

This is what i use and it works great. It is quite loud though.... But then again... All cheap generators are haha.

-Electro

Fod

Forgot to mention....so the wall outlet at the track we measured had 205V! Weird I know! But if you measure each hot with the ground it gets 115V which doesnt add up. We then did it with Fog's generator and it was 230V with same 115V on each hot. His for sure charges faster!

rayivers

Do you know if its possible to rewire it to get 240?

Yes, but you'd need access to the 3-phase supply and a transformer to do it. You could use an autotransformer with the existing 208 to step it up to 240, but that's just another clunky and expensive solution. Maybe the track guy is unaware of the 208V situation and has regular split-phase 240 available, in which case connecting the trackside outlet feed to 240 could be the simplest and best solution. This is all without having the slightest idea what's going on there, so please don't take anything as gospel, it's a lot more like guesswork.

Reactions: Fod

Fod

Yes, but you'd need access to the 3-phase supply and a transformer to do it. You could use an autotransformer with the existing 208 to step it up to 240, but that's just another clunky and expensive solution. Maybe the track guy is unaware of the 208V situation and has regular split-phase 240 available, in which case connecting the trackside outlet feed to 240 could be the simplest and best solution. This is all without having the slightest idea what's going on there, so please don't take anything as gospel, it's a lot more like guesswork.
I appreciate it! I will hit him up next time. Thanks for clearing up the issue!

Top Bottom