40 miles of dirt road 1500 feet elevation change possible on stark?

jasonjm

Got invited to go on a longer easier ride tomorrow almost all dirt roads

But it's 40 miles and I assume they are gonna be riding at 30 to 40 mph

If I stick the varg in 25 ho 50 percent regen and I have the newest software I should make it right? Maybe? Lol

happyinmotion

Borderline. I'm tracking my rides. On hardpack I'm getting 60-65 km, so 37-41 miles.

Then again, the hardpack round here tends to be slippery so I'm running low tyre pressures, like 6 psi. Tyre pressure definitely makes a difference to range.

Theo

I've read different ranges that people have got with the Varg and I think that a lot depends on the route, especially how twisty it is, the type of dirt and whether there are higher speed sections, so I think that there is not enough information to answer.
I don't have a degree in anyhing but I like physics and matemathics:
If you ride at 40 mph for 40 miles, it means that you ride for 1 hour. The useable energy of the battery is a little less than 6 kwh (I wouldn't ride when the SOC is below 10%, I think you would really risk damaging the battery), so it means that in that hour you have an average available power of a little less than 6 kw. Now honestly I have some books/documents somewhere where I can read an estimate of the coefficient of drag of a dirtbike, to be used to estimate the power required to sustain 40 mph, but considering some figures that I remember for street bikes and adjusting for that much worse coefficient, I think that a decent estimate would be that you need 2 or 3 kw for the air drag at constant 40 mph. The air drag would be the main energy consumer if riding at constant speed on asphalt, but I don't know when riding with knobby tyres in the dirt. The friction of the tyres surely is not negligible; the one of the transmission I think it is. In reality I also doubt that you will ride at constatn speed and the only information we have is distance, elevation change and average speed, but the energy used for accelerations exiting corners, which gets lost when you slow down before entering the next corner surely is non negligible either.
Bottom line: I doubt that you can predict for sure whether you'll make it.

AgileMike

I would think he makes it no problem unless they are going 60+ MPH. I did 38 miles with some nasty climbs and had 19% battery left. And that was prior to 14% and 10% range increase. Be interested to hear his report.

Mike85

Got invited to go on a longer easier ride tomorrow almost all dirt roads

But it's 40 miles and I assume they are gonna be riding at 30 to 40 mph

If I stick the varg in 25 ho 50 percent regen and I have the newest software I should make it right? Maybe? Lol
I rode single track for 35 miles and had 35% left when we were done