Alta Cost Efficiency

Is it cost efficient enough to buy an Alta Redshift MX over a Yamaha YZ250F? (Including maintenance)

• No stick with the Yamaha.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure, will have to work out some more numbers...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FadedMotocross

Hey everyone!

I'm an aspiring Alta owner who is trying to weigh my options before saving up and pulling the trigger. I want to make a cost efficiency chart/comparison to a normal 250F gas bike to help make my decision.

Alta vs Yamaha Ownership Cost Efficiency
(Annual Cost)​

This chart is based on an average weekend rider who rides roughly 30hrs a year.

2018 Alta Motors Redshift MX
$10,495 MSRP
$800 Fast Charger (240V - 2HR Charge time)
$180 Tires Annually + (Install?, DIY?)
+$100 Gas for Generator (To charge at track)
$11,575 Total

2019 Yamaha YZ250F (Electric Start)
$7,699 MSRP (Hypothetical)
$6 a tank + 2hrs per tank + 30hr = $90 Gas
$30 annual air filter care (replacement, or re-oiling)
$12 Oil + $8 Oil Filter + $4 Oil Filter O-Ring = $24 x 4 times in 30hr (7hrs an oil change) = $96
$200 Dealer Checkup (Dealer Valve Adjustment, Overall Inspection)
$180 Tires Annually
+$Time Spent on self-maintenance? $50? $100? (I used $50 a year for the differences below)
$8,345 Total

First Year Cost Difference:
$3,230
Third Year Cost Difference: (Chain and Sprocket replaced 2nd year= $150) (90hr top end rebuild=$500 dealer install w/parts)
$692
Fifth Year Cost Difference: (Chain and Sprocket replaced 4th year= $150) (150hr top end rebuild=$500 dealer install w/parts)
$42

So at around roughly 5 years of ownership, you will be ready to break even on your two-wheel investment. Now having all of that said I hope someone on here is able to find fault with my calculations and conclude even more savings in hopes that the Alta will bring back a return quicker.

Feel free to edit, redo, add, subtract any of the numbers listed above. Let me know if I missed anything.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Morgan! Welcome to the Forum again.

You have to add the cost of charging an Alta at home, which we here worked out to be $1.20 - 3.00 per full "tank". Probably on the low side of that, if you are not in Alaska.

And you also should put a value on your own time. An opportunity cost. That time that you have to spend to clean filters, change oils, and drive the bike to the dealer, you could be using to earn money working overtime at work, or running a business, or resting, or riding an Alta (which is priceless).

FadedMotocross

Hi Morgan! Welcome to the Forum again.

You have to add the cost of charging an Alta at home, which we here worked out to be $1.20 - 3.00 per full "tank". Probably on the low side of that, if you are not in Alaska.

And you also should put a value on your own time. An opportunity cost. That time that you have to spend to clean filters, change oils, and drive the bike to the dealer, you could be using to earn money working overtime at work, or running a business, or resting, or riding an Alta (which is priceless).
For sure, I accounted for the price of charging (at the track) by throwing in $100 a year to run a generator. As well as throwing $50 a year in for Time of cleaning air filters/oil maintenance and so on.

WoodsWeapon

Resale value should be a part of your calculations, but with the Alta theyre not really known. Some sort of significant battery breakthrough could kill existing Altas value in minutes.
However a 5 year old 250F doesnt carry much value neither.

WoodsWeapon

Also the chain and sprockets are normal wear parts on both bikes, so take that out of the equasion. Then theres the cost of the generator, and minor maintenance of it too.
Sorry but from my standpoint the Alta doesnt make sense financially, however not everything is about money. The fun factor of Alta vs ICE is where the advantage is.
Are you an MX track rider only? Do you have a local set of trails or property you can ride after work? For me living in the suburbs it has opened up a few local spots that I can hit after work without bothering anybody, rather than loading up and making a day of it everytime I want to ride. That in itself was worth the buy in for me.

FadedMotocross

I’d like to rip the track more often and possibly some stuff around the house. I love the idea of no maintenance. Chain and Sprocket is something I did forget to add!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Dont forget each dealers charge destination charge which varies by manufacturer.

snydes

Staff member
Most people don't keep their dirt bikes long enough to realize the long term cost savings of the Alta, so it has to be about more than the money. One premature engine failure on the 250f could likely throw any cost savings out the window as well.

For the purpose of riding at home the Alta would be obviously better. My neighbors don't bother me but I still out of courtesy I wouldn't ride my gas bikes around very long, with the Alta I can go as long as I want and no one has any idea I'm there.

Good luck with whatever way you decide :ricky: