Anyone running Kreft suspension?

Mikec265

Just interested in any information on how good the Kreft mods are for the MXR.

I am waiting for them to call me back after filling out the info form on their website.

I am 225 without riding gear. The stock AER 48 forks are so bad in rough turns and acceleration/braking bumps I am about to throw them in the dumpster. Major headshake. I have tried 135-175psi.

The shock is way too soft. Feels like it packs up in acceleration bumps and just feels awful.

Can Kreft make these bikes right for an aggressive 225 pound mx rider? Or should I seek used cone valves and a Trax shock?
Aer48 spring conversion?

The 14 year old Showa twin Chambers on my RM250 are way better than this MXR suspension setup.

Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you

Fod

I recommend you use my dumpster! @Philip just got his done up by Kreft....I am sure we will get a review like no other in a few days. As for the rear shock....Yeah it is ridiculously too soft! I am glad they went with the late model WP components, but wish they just stuck with standard KTM 450 valving instead of "Alta spec" valving. I am pretty sure Kreft will be great...I have heard nothing but good things from them on WP!

How often to check the WP AER48 fork air pressure?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Over here on this forum it looks like it is just me with the Kreft suspension. But there are other Altas that Kreft revalved, for sure.

Mikec265

I've seen the video with Ping and I have an issue of MXA both giving great reviews on the ride control valve. Both of those sources claim the front feels more planted in turns, and better on small bumps. It still has me nervous about spending that much money since those reviews were on KTM/Husky bikes. Same forks, but I would love to see a test on an Alta before putting that much monet into air forks.

I'm not sure about the shock revalve with the linkage ratio and heavy spring rates.

I guess I am hesitant about spending a lot of money on a bike that is uncommon. I really want to figure out what has proven to be the best place to send my stuff to. As is I gotta do something because I'm not as comfortable on jumps and bumps as I am on my gas bikes. The suspension is the only thing holding me back on this bike.

WoodsWeapon

Im of the belief that finding a local tuner on our uncommon bikes is important. He knows the terrain/tracks you ride. He Can watch you and make determinations what needs to be changed, and most importantly, theres no loss of time shipping if the initial settings aren’t optimal and he needs to go back in.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My Kreft suspension with Revalve Control has been showing a lot of promise. Last Wednesday I was able to find an awesome soft and flowing setup for sand tracks. It was fun and relaxing to ride sand again. Great brake and power slides, easy and stable cornering.

Now I just need to find a setup for hardpack jumpy tracks. All other types of MX tracks will be in between these two.

The jury is still out, but the promised adjustability is indeed there.

WoodsWeapon

I almost chose Kreft over MXT as that revalve control is ideal for a guy like myself that spends equal time on tracks and trails.

WoodsWeapon

When your MX-Tech suspension is ready, we should meet up and switch bikes. It would be interesting to compare.
Yes, very. I do ride in Baldwin and Wolverine a few times a year, are those close to you? And not that theres any riding, but what plans do you have for MXoN? I”m staying at a campground 1/2 mile away for the weekend, I”m too old for the shenanigans that happen onsite overnight.

Mikec265

I hope to have my suspension back from Kreft in about 2 to 3 weeks. Shipping it out tomorrow when I get back from working out of town. I guess they had someone's MXR for 6 weeks testing it. On top of that Matt over there really seemed to know what he was doing with these bikes.

Sucks to be without it for a while, but I guess I'll have more time to build my track up.

Altaracer929

OK, Philip and Mike how is the Kreft suspension working? Report review just let me know your thoughts on the Revalve control? Hey WoodWeapon how about a MX-Tech review? Suspension is the most important part of any motorcycle

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am sad to report that this week I sent the Kreft suspension back to be returned to stock. It did not work for me on the tracks that I like to ride and race. I do not want to bash Kreft, they are an innovative and high-quality company with a large fan base, but I not a fan of how their product worked for my type of riding. I will be able to post more, if it is of interest, after I get my money back, hopefully in a week or two, once they are done with rebuilding it. PM me, if you are have questions.

It is going to Brian at N2Dirt straight from Kreft. I talked to Brian on the phone, and he sounded very convincing. He said all the words I wanted to hear. They are on the 7th iteration of the Alta MXR suspension, and @Fog 25 and @Fod seem to have been happy with it from the very beginning. Also, their main customers are racing motocross, at all skill levels up to the pros, so they are the kind of tuner that I think I need.

Fog 25

Last weekend I rode a 19 Kawasaki 450 and after going back to my MXR the chatter bumps or non-existent.👍
As stated previously post, I do not think you would be making a wrong decision going with Brian N2dirt.👍 Tell him Fog or Fod sent you. Thanks

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Last weekend I rode a 19 Kawasaki 450 and after going back to my MXR the chatter bumps or non-existent.👍
That says a lot. Apparently, the new 2019 KX450 comes with an A-kit suspension with a Kashima coating. According to MXA, it is especially loved by slower riders, presumably those who are most sensitive to chatter bumps.

I really want to buy this bike and be like Tomac. But then I recall all the 4-stroke maintenance and the 450 heavy and clumsy handling.

snydes

Staff member
I really want to buy this bike and be like Tomac. But then I recall all the 4-stroke maintenance and the 450 heavy and clumsy handling.
I was just checking one out the other day at the dealer while I waited for my firmware update. They seem nice now with hydraulic clutch and electric start. I think I'll just stay with electric everything though.

Top Bottom