Anyone Using 16:53 Gear Ratio

VINSANITY

I have an EXR which came with 13:53 gears.

I ride it on the street and on trails, sometimes MX.

I tried 14T front and got a little more speed on the road and didn’t seems to lower power on trails. I recent tried a 15T front, this seems to help preserve battery riding at higher speeds on the road and again no negative effect on trails with enough t power.

Has anyone tried a 16T front sprocket. Also I can’t seem to find a 16T, does anyone know what other bikes use the same front sprocket so I can search another way.

I’m trying to get more range riding on the street as keeping the motor RPM down seems to conserve battery?

standbyu

I have 15/50 on my SM converted to EX. This would be very close to 16/53. Works fine on trails or street. I have done 2 hour single track rides covering over 40 miles a few times.

Caryder

I believe 15 is the largest primary sprocket that safely fits. I run 15/48 on my EXR for the street and run 13/53 on dirt. The idea being when I swap wheels the chain adjustment is still pretty similar for the taller street gearing.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It would be helpful to know what the optimal motor RPM is for "fuel" economy.

The SM comes with the 15/50 ratio, but it has 17" wheels. Maybe that ratio was selected for fuel economy?? @Rashid510

Johnny Depp

It would be easy to source a custom sprocket, if it would fit? We can run 17t on our little china pit bikes. Anyone got a picture of the swingarm clearance? I'd suggest the easier way is to go smaller in the back, when you go to big in the front you lose some of the wanted pop for seat bounces etc. due to chain torque reduction.

VINSANITY

The limiting factor with the Alta is there are mounting bolts for the chain guard that limit the OD of the front sprocket.

15T front is the max without doing modifications to the bulkhead.

effinsiok

It would be easy to source a custom sprocket, if it would fit? We can run 17t on our little china pit bikes. Anyone got a picture of the swingarm clearance? I'd suggest the easier way is to go smaller in the back, when you go to big in the front you lose some of the wanted pop for seat bounces etc. due to chain torque reduction.
What is “chain torque reduction”? You have the given torque at the output shaft, which is multiplied through your selected gear ratio to give you a torque around the rear wheel axle. Sure a larger front sprocket has a tiny bit more rotational inertia, but larger sprockets also have less friction because the chain links don’t have to pivot as much. I can’t imagine the inertia or friction are noticeable in any way.

Johnny Depp

What is “chain torque reduction”? You have the given torque at the output shaft, which is multiplied through your selected gear ratio to give you a torque around the rear wheel axle. Sure a larger front sprocket has a tiny bit more rotational inertia, but larger sprockets also have less friction because the chain links don’t have to pivot as much. I can’t imagine the inertia or friction are noticeable in any way.
In simple terms chain torque is the effect on the rear suspension under acceleration causing squat.

rayivers

In simple terms chain torque is the effect on the rear suspension under acceleration causing squat

The acceleration chain torque has an anti-squat effect - it pulls down on the top of the rear sprocket and up on the front sprocket, extending the rear suspension & lifting the frame. My wheelie-practice bike's rear wheel is locked in a floor chock w/no brake, and the anti-squat effect topped the shock out so hard I had to replace it with a strut.

synics

I have 15/50 on my SM converted to EX. This would be very close to 16/53. Works fine on trails or street. I have done 2 hour single track rides covering over 40 miles a few times.
40 miles????? I find that extremely hard to believe. The best I have ever done on trails is 21 miles, ALL in Map 1 taking it easy, off a total full charge to complete dead battery....

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The trail surface material will greatly impact range, soft sand/dirt/whatever will reduce range while the hardpack gravel/rock/pavement I ride on will allow me to go further on a charge. My typical max range at home is 33-35 miles.

That said, I am not a racer, I'm old and slow just riding for fun.

synics

The trail surface material will greatly impact range, soft sand/dirt/whatever will reduce range while the hardpack gravel/rock/pavement I ride on will allow me to go further on a charge. My typical max range at home is 33-35 miles.

That said, I am not a racer, I'm old and slow just riding for fun.
mostly all sandy type trails tbh...but still....

VINSANITY

I get 20 miles (maybe 25 but I haven’t completely drained a battery yet) on sandy rough and twisty trails in Texas - intermediate rider - and trying to conserve battery by limiting wheel spin.

snydes

Staff member
I've gotten over 30 miles multiple times, but that's a very leisurely pace on mostly smooth trails. Sand will chew it up fast. On the dunes I burnt through a charge in 15 minutes.

synics

Yeah I'm in deep sand all day. Completely killed the battery 3 times today to total dead, and got 42 total miles off 3 full charges

snydes

Staff member
Yeah I'm in deep sand all day. Completely killed the battery 3 times today to total dead, and got 42 total miles off 3 full charges
I love riding my Alta in sand and for that matter any loose and deep terrain, but it’s murder on the range unfortunately. So much fun though.