Charging with Active Cooling System

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out it is possible to turn the active cooling system on while charging your Stark Varg. It would be cooling the motor and the inverter but not the battery. Why would anyone want to turn the cooling system on? What are the pros and cons?

See at the 0:37 minute mark.

Theo

According to the FAQ pdf document from Stark's site, it's recommended when charging between motos to lower the temperature. I remember a member of this forum who rode at very high level, being a former professional, complaining about thermal limits due to overheating; surely he was an example of someone who needed to use that feature to extend his riding time. I typically use it when it's warm and I'm charging with high currents between motos, but I wouldn't use it in a cold day like at 5°C (40°F).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I remember a member of this forum who rode at very high level, being a former professional, complaining about thermal limits due to overheating; surely he was an example of someone who needed to use that feature to extend his riding time.
Yes, it was this guy. He and Stark concluded it was the battery overheating, not the cool-able powertrain parts (the motor or the inverter). I suppose, pre-cooling the powertrain while you have the charger hooked up will save you some battery juice later in the day when you would otherwise have to run the cooling fan from the battery power, I guess. The benefits are marginal, IMO.

I wish there was a button to cool the battery while charging it, LOL!