Compatible with Charging Stations?

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I'm not an Alta owner yet, but I plan to be very soon. Test rode one at a dealership in Tyrone PA and just waiting for it to come off demo status. Anyway, my question is if the bike can be charged using charging stations setup for the chevy volt, tesla's and other EV's. I live about 35 miles from DC and there are a number of charging stations setup near my office that I could use I was wondering if the alta was compatible with these? Of course I'd have to be sure I could make it all the way to work, sounds like I could if I really took care to be efficient.

strider

None of Alta's current models are compatible with a J1772 EVSE (most public charging pedestals). Only the SM *could* use those as it has an onboard charger. The off-road models, EX(R), MX(R) require a separate charger. But the current version of the SM does not "speak" J1772 nor does it have the correct plug.

If you have access to a 120V plug at work you could charge that way.

Speedkills

It's fuzzy. Alta has shown no interest in providing an adapter. There is a company TucsonEv who says they sell one, but also shows little interest in selling it, they don't respond to my emails or return phone calls, but maybe you'll have better luck. Zero makes an adapter for $300 you can just buy on their website, I haven't gotten around to picking one up but it would likely plug right in with a C20 to 5-15R adapter but nobody has actually tested that as far as I know.

bluefxstc

@Speedkills you might want to try Modular EV Power. They seem need to have a number of J1772 adapters available and may respond better than TucsonEV. I have used Modular's AVC2 in my converted car and it worked well. The other option would be to piece together your own adapter box. The circuit to energize the J1772 EVSE is pretty simple and available on the internet. If you build your own circuit you could get the female J1772 connector from salvage EVs in many junkyards. As @strider stated only the SM has an onboard charger, so that is really the only Alta that could reasonably use public charging stations.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I didn't talk to the dealer too much about charging when I went to test ride one, I was much to excited about riding it. So to charge an EXR or MXR on a 120V I still need a large charger? I saw a large, black plastic box that was definitely the alta charger, I had assumed that was the fast, 240V charger. If I'm going to charge using 120V, is it just a cord that I could throw in my backpack, or do I need to carry around some big boxy charger?

snydes

Staff member
So I didn't talk to the dealer too much about charging when I went to test ride one, I was much to excited about riding it. So to charge an EXR or MXR on a 120V I still need a large charger? I saw a large, black plastic box that was definitely the alta charger, I had assumed that was the fast, 240V charger. If I'm going to charge using 120V, is it just a cord that I could throw in my backpack, or do I need to carry around some big boxy charger?
Big boxy charger to charge on 120v unfortunately.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Yeah, I pulled up the manual and noticed that even the 120V charger looks slightly too large for everyday carry. So if I spend the extra $$ on the rapid charger, do I still get the smaller 120V charger as well? I could keep that at work if I had two.

snydes

Staff member
Yeah, I pulled up the manual and noticed that even the 120V charger looks slightly too large for everyday carry. So if I spend the extra $$ on the rapid charger, do I still get the smaller 120V charger as well? I could keep that at work if I had two.
This is a common area of confusion... there are two chargers, the original Alta charger (2.7kW) and the what is referred to (and somewhat misleading) "rapid" 3.3kW charger that was designed for the R pack bikes (MXR, EXR). They BOTH charge on either 120v or 240v. The 2.7kW comes with a 120v plug and the 3.3kW a 240v plug. For an EXR you would want the 3.3kW charger, no real reason to have both unless you need a second charger to keep at work like you mentioned.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Right, but I'm still confused. Buying the base model of the bike (in this case an EXR) I get the 2.7 kW charger. For an additional $800 I get the 3.3kW charger. I still get the base 2.7 kW charger even if I pay the extra $800 for the 3.3kW charger, correct? I assume I would get both if the 2.7kW comes at no add'l charge. From what I gather on the forums, at the very least I buy the bike and can then upgrade at a later time to the 3.3kW charger, at which point I would have both and could keep the 2.7 at work.

snydes

Staff member
I don't believe the EXR price includes a charger, or at least I don't think it's supposed to. If I'm correct and they want to give you a standard charger in at the same price than maybe just don't ask questions and take it and get the 3.3kW charger as well. The EX's original price included the charger and I think that might be where some confusion is coming from. Check out this post with a similar question...
2019 EXR. Hello. I'm Ben and . . .

privateer703

AOF Addict
Ok, so it sounds like the 2.7 charger would be $400-500 and then the 3.3 an additional $300-400. I didn't know the 3.3 would be $1500 if I bought it separately after the fact. That changes things a little. I guess I'll still be commuting on gas.

strider

Unfortunately, the chargers are sold separately. This is one of the ways they reduced the price of the newer models to minimize sticker shock.

Perhaps Alta could make the onboard charger from the SM an option on the EXR for folks that do more road riding vs trails? I haven't seen an SM, where do they hide the charger?