Creating the Alta successor: requesting your feedback

gewoontim

Thanks all for the really extensive answers! The more the better, so keep them coming.

@FUEL, we're also really looking into this. It's obviously also a market that Alta had a vision for to enter, but they focused on the offroad market first (it seems).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I personally growing tired of the 80% public using range as their reasoning behind not going electric. In reality Dick&Jane go to work & the grocery store in their 15mpg dinasour burning mud truck!😤 Not cross country road trips to Mardi Gras & the Grand Canyon....
In the US the average annual mileage driven is about 12K miles. Divide this by approximately 250 days driven and it comes out to a 48 miles/day commute. Mine is 50 miles/day. The SM's range is a bit too short to cover this range reliably. Not everyone has an opportunity to plug in their bike mid-day, I surely don't. Therefore I'd sooner buy a Tesla Model 3 than an SM, which is very unfortunate.

Reactions: Rix

privateer703

AOF Addict
You simply can't sell a similar model vehicle with a 20% higher price tag and 75% less range and think people won't gripe. Especially when you can't say it has more power or speed, just that the power and speed delivers quicker, there just isn't enough bang for the buck for the majority of people. It's easy to say that most of the time the limited range isn't an issue, but what about the sometimes it is? Bottom line electric vehicles offer higher performance with what I'd call significant drawbacks (cost and range). If you have the money you can overcome those drawbacks, but most people don't. I think to go about a new e-bike company you have to simultaneously get into multiple markets at once. I have yet to see an electric custom chopper, yet this is a perfect market for this, high price, high performance, with range not as important. If a real good designer can come up with a system where you can swap out parts to make sport bikes, cruisers, off-road, adventure, and mini-bikes while keeping base parts interchangeable you might have something.

Judaslefourbe

Let me give you the best advice if you want to have a chance and succeed in the motorcycle industry: there is no money in selling motorcycles. It is not a winning business proposition. Don't do it.
My recommendation would be to create a business tied to the tech and then use motorcycles as a marketing tool to showcase said tech. It will allow you to attract investors that are way more diverse and will give you a better chance at survival.
By doing so, you are also at liberty to take chances with the product and will be able to offer better performance that will attract loyal customers, as opposed to trying to attract more of them, forcing you to design for cost.

My $.02

privateer703

AOF Addict
What you really need to develop is a line of conversion kits. If I could take an old Honda or Kawi and buy a $4k or $5k drop in EV kit, now you make it available to more people. I agree with Judas, trying to start a company in a small market with many competitors is an extremely difficult endeavor.

Tuner

Let me give you the best advice if you want to have a chance and succeed in the motorcycle industry: there is no money in selling motorcycles. It is not a winning business proposition. Don't do it.
My recommendation would be to create a business tied to the tech and then use motorcycles as a marketing tool to showcase said tech. It will allow you to attract investors that are way more diverse and will give you a better chance at survival.
By doing so, you are also at liberty to take chances with the product and will be able to offer better performance that will attract loyal customers, as opposed to trying to attract more of them, forcing you to design for cost.

My $.02
Truer words have never been spoken.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
We've heard this rhetoric in Marc Fenigstein's @Honcho posts and presentations, but there wasn't much further details offered. I wonder if the plan was to eventually become a company like BRP with a line of odd but profitable non-motorcycles.

Tuner

We've heard this rhetoric in Marc Fenigstein's @Honcho posts and presentations, but there wasn't much further details offered. I wonder if the plan was to eventually become a company like BRP with a line of odd but profitable non-motorcycles.

The motorcycle industry proper is not for the uninitiated nor faint of heart. As a seasoned industry veteran, I feel qualified to make such a statement.
Alta was passion driven, which was a double edged sword at best. In my personal opinion and in sharp contrast, the Mo-Co represents the polar opposite.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Everyone I have ever spoken to about EV’s has no interest, bike or car.
I have experienced very similar reactions, even after I let them have a rip on the Alta and demonstrate the possibilities.

Too many people are just not ready to step outside their comfort zone.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It took me buying an Alta before I started liking it. You can't experience the awesome throttle control in 5 minutes on an unfamiliar track, while still getting used to not hearing the exhaust and not shifting gears.

I really want a Tesla Model 3 now but not because I like the EV movement, or want to save the environment, or want to spend more on a car to spend less on gas. I do not want to do oil changes and I hope the autopilot will drive me to work while I am reading the morning news or watching YouTube.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I really want a Tesla Model 3 now but not because I like the EV movement, or want to save the environment, or want to spend more on a car to spend less on gas. I do not want to do oil changes and I hope the autopilot will drive me to work while I am reading the morning news or watching YouTube.

I'm holding out for the Tesla pickup truck with autopilot that will drive me from my house to the track with my bike in the back. Oh, and the truck will charge my bike in between motos. No need for a generator. I will be content for years with that setup.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm holding out for the Tesla pickup truck with autopilot that will drive me from my house to the track with my bike in the back. Oh, and the truck will charge my bike in between motos. No need for a generator. I will be content for years with that setup.
I am holding out for the Tesla Cargo Van so that I could sell everything that I own, except for the Alta bikes, and live in it. :cool:

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Rivian is your huckleberry.

hightechnature

It took me buying an Alta before I started liking it. You can't experience the awesome throttle control in 5 minutes on an unfamiliar track, while still getting used to not hearing the exhaust and not shifting gears.

Top Bottom