General Dirt bikes are horribly inefficient

Ethos

I ride dirt bikes because they are the most effective tool for navigating difficult terrain. Better than any invention to date for distance and conditions. Hard enduro pushes this technology to its limits.
But the vehicles of the future are likely to be very different from a wheeled machine.

If you think about it, the wheel is a poor mechanism when it comes to applying power to the dirt.
More often the motor has plenty of power but even a wide gummy will spin on a steep hill.
Consider that 40HP is barely enough to climb even a modest hill that a single goat would not even consider to be an obstacle. Why do we need 40 horses of power to accomplish what a single horse can do?

I imagine that the ultimate vehicle of the future will be exoskeleton legs or power assisted movement of some kind. Far less weight and much better application of power to the ground.

Maybe I am the only weirdo to think about such things.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You could probably buy/rent one of those Boston Dynamics dogs and test what their off-road riding range is compared to the Alta/Stark.

But for ultimate efficiency, nothing would beat a horse or a mule. Just feed them grass and water. Renewable flex fuel.