Display - functions and look up firmware

MotoMinded

Specific need is to verify what firmware I am running. I looked at the manual online to figure out how to see what I am running... nada, Alta's faq online... nana. Searched this forum also with no success. Included paper manual... nada.
Also curious to what other functions people have different than below.

Not getting anywhere with my research. I started hitting buttons.
Here is all I see with my MX-R, key on
Left button, no function
Center button show code 35, service soon
Right shows hours.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
There is no method to lookup the firmware version that I know of. Only Alta knows what version your bike is running. Maybe your dealer too.

There is no method to lookup the firmware version that I know of. Only Alta knows what version your bike is running. Maybe your dealer too.

Every dealer has a diagnostic laptop bought direct through Alta that is used for updating firmware and doing diagnostic checks on different components of the bike. The software will tell your dealer what firmware version your bike is on (and I don't see why they wouldn't then tell you if you asked) and also if your bike needs an update.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Every dealer has a diagnostic laptop bought direct through Alta that is used for updating firmware and doing diagnostic checks on different components of the bike. The software will tell your dealer what firmware version your bike is on (and I don't see why they wouldn't then tell you if you asked) and also if your bike needs an update.
Oh, I had no doubt the dealer would tell me if I need an update if I take my bike to them. I just do not know if they have a record of updates flashed into every bike that is accessible to them without having to plug into the bike. A drive to a nearest dealer is a major road trip to some of the members here. It would be nice to just pick up the phone and ask the dealer or Alta Motors tech support.

Oh, I had no doubt the dealer would tell me if I need an update. I just do not know if they have a record of updates flashed into every bike that is accessible to them without having to plug into the bike. A drive to a nearest dealer is a major road trip to some of the members here. It would be nice to just pick up the phone and ask the dealer or Alta Motors tech support.
Just did a little more digging into the dealer portal. Unfortunately the portal does not display the firmware version or update history of the bikes. The only info I have is a date for the last data upload. I can however input a vin number and if there is a new firmware update for that specific bike it will tell me. I just updated two EXR's this past Saturday and it has logged that info in the portal but does not tell me what version of firmware was put in the bike. Direct to Alta would be the only way to get the current firmware info for your bike (if they will give it to you).

bking

This might be all the information that one needs, and should be able to get over the phone, before scheduling a trip to the dealer. Thank you.
I tried that- my dealer wouldn’t look it up. Really frustrating that we can’t look it up, or have the bike be able to tell us directly.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I tried that- my dealer wouldn’t look it up. Really frustrating that we can’t look it up, or have the bike be able to tell us directly.
Find another dealer. Or ask a dealer on this forum.

I am about to switch dealers. Luckily I have three to choose from. I tried to finally buy my rapid charger. My salesman keeps saying the manager would call me, but he never calls.

bking

Yeah, my dealer is really bad. Closest alternative is 2.5 hours away though and I just don't have the time to make the drive for this stuff.

When I had a Zero it had a phone app that would link to the bike by bluetooth & download diagnostic logs to send to the factory for diagnosis with problems. You could look at the log file yourself and see what the faults were, along with firmware number, etc. Not a perfect solution but it acknowledges the problems most of us have dealing with service departments that are all about ICE bikes.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Yeah, my dealer is really bad. Closest alternative is 2.5 hours away though and I just don't have the time to make the drive for this stuff.

When I had a Zero it had a phone app that would link to the bike by bluetooth & download diagnostic logs to send to the factory for diagnosis with problems. You could look at the log file yourself and see what the faults were, along with firmware number, etc. Not a perfect solution but it acknowledges the problems most of us have dealing with service departments that are all about ICE bikes.
How do you give 1000 likes?

If you sent me your vin number I would be more than happy to check and see if your bike needs an update however I wont be able to tell what firmware is currently in your bike. I will say that pretty much all EXR's and MXR's are going to need updated as there is now an additional update just released today to fix the “Inverter Throttle Fault” that some owners are experiencing when rolling their throttle forward.

bking

Yeah, service@altamotors.co asked that I not ride until its fixed. Alta probably represents 1% of this dealer's sales, the way they treat customers I can't imagine they would care what Alta said. This weekend I leave for a week of Adv riding then I'm planning on taking the EXR & a generator up to Tillamook for a few days. I'm just dropping it at the dealer before I leave & if they don't fix it by my return I'll just have to ride it broken.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta started rolling out their sales by carefully selecting only the best dealers. But more customers wanted more dealers near them, so now anyone can become an Alta dealer. @Mark911, you should apply again!