do you store the bike in standby mode or completely off?

do you store the bike in standby mode or completely off?

• sometimes in standby mode, sometimes completely off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Theo

In which mode do you store it? Why?

Personally, up to some days ago I have kept it shutdown because:
• I don't want thieves to notice a flashing red light in the darkness: there are some holes in the garage door,
• I think that the flashing red light may accelerate the battery discharge a little, even though probably that is negligible.

I wonder whether the battery management system manages the balance of the cells during the self discharge and whether that works even when the bike is completely off. That's why I want to keep it in standby mode from now on unless I learn something new which will lead me to start keeping it off again.
I also wonder whether Stark's technicians can connect to the bike if it has been shut down; in my garage there is bad 4G reception, though.
I also guess that updates are not downloaded when the Varg is completely off, even though, again, I suspect that in my garage they would not be downloaded anyways because of bad signal.

mike61

After the last informations about complete shut down. I decided to let it in STANDBY red flashing.
The BMS of my Surron is also always ON and there is no problem.

Today the "Starkfuture" app asked for an update and it did.

Foss

Stark future best practice is to leave it in standby mode. That is what they officially told me via email. They never explained why but hinted to possibly keeping the battery in a healthy state and increasing the longevity of the battery. They did mention the hard shutdown is only to be used for troubleshooting.

My concern I brought to starks attention was the Bluetooth connectivity and other backend services drawing the battery life in standby. But they were confident standby mode is the proper way to store the bike when not in use. So long you keep the range 30-50% when hibernating.

Kurlon

A storage mode with the charger connected would be ideal... Let it float in the ideal storage range, topping off as needed.

Theo

A storage mode with the charger connected would be ideal... Let it float in the ideal storage range, topping off as needed.
I suppose that they could technically make this happening creating such mode in the app.
The only problem that I see is that, as far as I know, it's advisable not to keep electric devices under charge unattended because there is a significant risk of fire. Maybe this piece of advice doesn't hold good anymore in 2024 or maybe it has never been true, but I remember having heard and having read it more than once.
After all, they recommend checking the state of charge every two weeks in the manual, which sounds little time consuming.

Kurlon

It all depends on the device, I’ve got multiple vehicles and a generator that sit on battery tenders 24/7/365 unless actively in use. My Jeep PHEV, plugged in 24/7/365 unless actively in use or under an annoying no charge no park near anything/indoors recall order… grumble, story for another time… If you’ve got active monitoring going, there’s no reason for it to be risky, the bike can even scream over 4G/WiFi if it detects things going anywhere remotely off the rails.