EV sportcars/supercars from brands which became icoinc with ICE

Theo

Quite a revolution!
I am no one and my opnion surely matters way less than Ferrari's one, but I am not convinced by their idea of just letting people choose their type of powertrain.
Honestly I believe that very few things last forever: enjoying a sunset is something that people could do both 1,000 years ago and hopefully people will do 1,000 years from now. Feeling something unique while using a Ferrari, or while seeing a Ferrari passing by, which is the typical interaction with Ferraris for most of the people, not so much IMHO. I really love those 80s/90s/early 2000s Ferraris with two pairs of round tail lights, producing amazing sounds. Back then when Schumacher won the F1 championship for consequent years and it just felt like it was the best brand of cars.
Then things started to change, apparently they had to change the design but I think they lost the family feeling and they had to start using electric motors, too, because how could they not. Now I won't question that modern Ferraris are great cars, but at least in my super humble opinion, they don't have that X factor anymore and electric ones will have it even less.
IMHO the engine sound is too strongly associated with a Ferrari not to feel that something is amiss with an electric one.
This affects other manufacturers, too, because apparently we won't have ICEs forever, but since apparently Ferraris are still mentioned as cars par excellence, like when people say that the Varg is the Ferrari of electric dirtbikes, I think that they are affected more than other brands.

What seems more sensible to me is that at some point, when there will be only EVs, those companies will just change their names and logos, maybe merge with other companies having more expertise in electricity and painfully accept that it has been great until it lasted.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ferrari's future is tightly tied to Formula 1's future. They will either both success in switching to electric/alternative, or they will both fail. They will either continue providing us with excitement and unique emotions or they won't.

I think, most likely, things will continue evolving organically with F1 and supercar manufacturers making incremental changes and adopting cool new technologies that people want to buy, just like Ferrari is doing with this e-factory or e-building.

I have a question though... Can the Italian/German/Euro governments really get away with banning ICE engines in Formula 1 or in low-volume supercars? Have they attempted this in their ~2035 ICE sales laws?

Theo

Ferrari's future is tightly tied to Formula 1's future. They will either both success in switching to electric/alternative, or they will both fail. They will either continue providing us with excitement and unique emotions or they won't.

... and I think that F1 shares a similar problem: just like Ryan Hughes said recently in a video, when an F1 car passes by it impresses people with that sound which I find so wild but so artificial at the same time; I have never heard a Formula E passing by but from some videos I've watched I guess they are not really cool; maybe at higher speeds it seems like the wings make some cooler sounds. From TV they honestly sound emotionless.
Besides, Formula E cars couldn't compete against F1 now because they can't race with that power to weight ratio for 1h30 minutes. The powertrain can probably be lighter, like the power unit of the Varg is lighter than a 450 engine, but the much higher energy density of gasoline means that a fuel tank is so much lighter, so an electric car with the same power would be so much heavier and therefore with the same downforce it would be so much slower in corners.
Formula racing must be very hard for EVs because you need a lot of energy for high drag from wings and because of high speeds.
The best drivers want to race in F1 and therefore Formula E currently is for less successfull drivers or former F1 drivers.
Maybe years from now, I'd say decades from now Formula Es will become competitive or even faster and the best will want to move there. Then, driven by the best in the World, we'll see what kind of emotions they can give to the spectators.