EXR #202 stolen in Utah

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Should we start a new forum section? Lost and Found? Fortunately less than a 1000 of these beauties, so not too many should pop up used. Or watch for a bunch of EXR parts on eBay.

That number is much, much smaller if you consider only EXRs.

Hopefully whoever stole the trailer doesn't know what they have with the ALTA. It might make them less careful if they attempt to sell the bike or any parts and provide a path to find the thieves and all the gear.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Also post flyers around all the riding spots in your area. These are so rare that anytime ICE riders see them they want to check them out. If there are flyers at all the riding spots, the thieves won't be able to ride it without people noticing. At least you can spoil their fun.

Trialsman

Also post flyers around all the riding spots in your area. These are so rare that anytime ICE riders see them they want to check them out. If there are flyers at all the riding spots, the thieves won't be able to ride it without people noticing. At least you can spoil their fun.

There is never a time that I am out on one of the Altas that people don't take notice. Yesterday a guy about lost his head as he did a double take at my nearly silent bike as I passed him. It is overwhelming curiosity that will be your best friend as curios people notice this new, rare, and very different bike. The more people that will notice it the better. As for the VIN, just let people know the 202. That is a number people will remember and all that is necessary to make a preliminary confirmation of your bike. Everyone here hopes you can get your equipment back as well as nail the thieves.

F451

I'm thinking/hoping these thieves will come to realize they have a hot potato on their hands and will leave it somewhere to be found just to get it away from them.

Then again, your common garden variety thief isn't too bright so perhaps they won't. Either way, as others have mentioned, the EXR's are such a rare bird, its got to turn up sooner or later. We're all sending positive vibes and being on the lookout to make it sooner. -Eddie

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
@Philip Can we start a new section on the AOF for stolen bikes? Stolen or Lost and Found? That way, we can go to one reference place and do a quick check on any stolen VINs whenever we come across a new bike.

Anyone else have their Alta stolen? Don't recall if I heard of any other ones being reported.

snydes

Staff member
Besides Lyndon Poskitt's two bikes in Europe, this is the third Alta we are aware of being stolen and the first that was reported stolen here on this forum.

Potatonet

Anyone know if there is a suitable alternative to crazedlist???

hunting all of the craigslist for altas needs an automated bot if there is a suitable web query programmer in the house?

F451

Search Tempest

This searches all of craigslist.

Exactly. This search I set up and saved as a Bookmark/Favorite. It searches CL for "Alta" in the motorcycles for sale section, searches Titles only, and covers the entire west coast.

Alta on SearchTempest - West Coast

Once I hit search, I like to click on the "Open All" button and that opens up each state/area's search results in a separate browser tab, then I can quickly scan each state/area and close them one at a time once I've checked if any listings return.

This search could be easily modified to cover the entire US. Hell, give me a couple of minutes and I'll see if I can post the links.

Only thing to keep in mind is this search does not cover "motorcycle parts", but the search could be easily modified to search there also in case the bike ends up getting sold for parts.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I would think that since this is an EXR the thieves would have to part it out since almost anyone wanting to buy it would want the title. Keep an eye on ebay too.

gargantuar

oh man! that is great info! thank you all again. i am using craigslist tips now! i bought an mx from a member on these forums and, if i can’t find my exr, will likely be in market for another so wife and i can ride. i am still so sad but you guys are great and cheer me up. we did get the trailer back yesterday but it was empty except for our camp chairs and a mattress that was not there before. it was hooked to a truck that had also been stolen 3 weeks earlier. i suppose if one were to steal trailers, using a stolen vehicle is a good idea