EXR Charging CAN log

AnthonyZ

Here is a CAN log taken on the bus connecting the my EXR's charging port and the fast charger.
During this capture the following events occured.

1. Ignition key enabled, frames begin sending
2. Fast charger AC input is connected.
3. Charging begins, "Charging" displayed on display
4. Ignition switched to off, charging continues.
5. AC Input to fast charger disconnected.
6. CAN capture ended.

This was captured using the GVRET tool, and SavyCAN software.

edit: Link
edit 2: CAN speed 250K

AnthonyZ

Included some analysis on google drive folder. "Interp" spreadsheet.

Seems like the bike was asking for 400V, and seems to ramp the current request as high as 53 amps before setting back to ~20 amps, then to 10 amps.

From observing the charger in the past, I'd guessed that the bike seems to ramp until the charger hits an over current and gets set back. It seems to do this a few times before settling on a sustainable setpoint.
Again, this is all conjecture, but the can log seems to support it.

enjoythesilenc

Good to see some reverse engineering. Can you describe your hardware setup? I would like to look at CAN messaging but hoped I could use the ALta dongle without having to get a GVRET. What OS do you run the savvycan on?

AnthonyZ

Good to see some reverse engineering. Can you describe your hardware setup? I would like to look at CAN messaging but hoped I could use the ALta dongle without having to get a GVRET. What OS do you run the savvycan on?
I wasn't able to get the lawicel can usb to work with savvycan. Not to say one couldn't, just that I didn't.
I'm using the EVTV arduino due, and running the windows 32 bit savvy can on a windows 10 (64 bit) machine.

AnthonyZ

Seems like I had an order of magnitude error in my current request/delivering column (buisness as usual). I've cleaned up the formatting in the interp. file, and now the calculated power values seem sane.

AnthonyZ

Took another capture with 240V input to the fast charger. Spreadsheet with analysis in google drive folder above.

It seems with the EXR firmware I've got, the charge request tops off at 400V, 8A, 3200W (at least at the state-of-charge range I was at)

Not sure if the bike will get angry if I try to feed more current, I guess there's only one way to find out. I'm hoping to get closer to the max current for the conductors involved eventually. The OEM charger DC conductors are 14AWG, so I'm not planning to exceed 15 amps. Not sure that's the limiting factor, but we'll see.