EXR wont turn on -- Solved

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Did I read correctly that battery BCU’s for the EXR are available somewhere?
Yes. We have a new most awesomest forum sponsor coming on-board soon who has a few of those BCU electronic boards. For now I can say that the R-pack BCU boards are available and I will be delivering one to the QuinnsMom's neighbor this weekend.

VINSANITY

That’s is great news - is there just a small supply for people’s bikes that actually fail or can we get one as a spare just in case

Yes. We have a new most awesomest forum sponsor coming on-board soon who has a few of those BCU electronic boards. For now I can say that the R-pack BCU boards are available and I will be delivering one to the QuinnsMom's neighbor this weekend.
Does this mean you're driving near Western/ Central Mass this weekend? Arent you in Michigan? This is all very new to me :LOL: We should prob get one and could meet you somewhere, cash in hand. Technically it would be my husband and son cuz I'm going away tomorrow for a week...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Does this mean you're driving near Western/ Central Mass this weekend? Arent you in Michigan? This is all very new to me :LOL: We should prob get one and could meet you somewhere, cash in hand. Technically it would be my husband and son cuz I'm going away tomorrow for a week...
One of your neighbors @OneLapper is coming over to race with us in western NY this weekend. I do not have any spare BCUs right now, we will have to ask the sponsor, if you need one right away. It is up to them if they will be selling them slow or fast, or all at once. We do not know.

snydes

Staff member
Keep in mind I don't know your husband and sons ability level, so please don't take offense, but just a reminder opening up one of these batteries is very dangerous and not a job suitable for an average handyman. Deadly voltages and the potential for fire are inside.

Also, replacing the BCU right now isn't a job we are completely equipped to do. In Philips case and in the case of Onelappers recent repair job the replacement part was a complete battery top lid assembly salvaged from a warranty pack returned to Alta. The BCUs Philip is referring to being available soon are just the BCU and will require at least one special tool we have not yet made/obtained to install in the battery lid. I hate to paint bleak pictures but I'd sooner brace you for the worst.

Having said all that I will now say we will do our best to help you, but just be patient as we are all doing this as a hobby and this will take a lot of cooperation between multiple people to make it happen. Owning an Alta now will require a bit of patience to keep them running when troubles happen.

Keep in mind I don't know your husband and sons ability level, so please don't take offense, but just a reminder opening up one of these batteries is very dangerous and not a job suitable for an average handyman. Deadly voltages and the potential for fire are inside.

Also, replacing the BCU right now isn't a job we are completely equipped to do. In Philips case and in the case of Onelappers recent repair job the replacement part was a complete battery top lid assembly salvaged from a warranty pack returned to Alta. The BCUs Philip is referring to being available soon are just the BCU and will require at least one special tool we have not yet made/obtained to install in the battery lid. I hate to paint bleak pictures but I'd sooner brace you for the worst.

Having said all that I will now say we will do our best to help you, but just be patient as we are all doing this as a hobby and this will take a lot of cooperation between multiple people to make it happen. Owning an Alta now will require a bit of patience to keep them running when troubles happen.
Thanks, we just were feeling frustrated that they shut down and our guy can’t service them anymore, so it’s exciting that there is an option. We are very patient :)
We have only electric cars and my husband has replaced battery packs on an old Solectria, but I know that’s different than opening up a battery... he’ll only take on what he’s comfortable with. And we’ll try for lots of help. Such a bummer Alta shut down, it’s a great bike.

snydes

Staff member
Great attitude! Hopefully in the next few weeks we will have to tools needed to remove a BCU from the lid in order to replace it. By then (again hopefully) our upcoming new sponsor will also be ready to sell the BCUs. Then we just need to figure out who is capable to do the work for you. Again, we are just taking our best guess based on what we have dealt with so far that your problem is the BCU, but I suspect it is.

Oded

I agree that most chances are that the problem is BCU related.
Just asking to be sure - no chance that the battery is completely drained?

Here is how the BCU looks like on the older models.
As Steve wrote, an Electrician friend helped me take it off.

20190618_225552.jpg

20190618_223040_HDR.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The battery was about half full when it didn’t turn on. And it can’t be charged unless the bike is on... who’s idea was that, anyway? 🤪

Likely a security feature so that no one but the key owner can perform actions on the bike. That said, the bike only has to be key on to initiate charging. After charging starts, the key can be turned to the off position and removed, also for security reasons. Charging will continue normally without the key after that.

Mark911

The pack can be bench charged but you'll need to remove the cover to gain access to the "Pack side" positive and negative terminals. You'll also need a constant current/constant voltage 350v power supply or charger. Obviously all the high voltage safety rules apply as well.

ababaoka

Well I was getting ready for a ride today on my 2019 EXR and i got the same problem, slightly different circumstances. I had around 50% or less battery when i parked it but i did plug it in (glade?) after use. Went to turn it on today expecting a full battery and nothing.

It is pretty funny i used to make these boards at my old work (electronics manufacturing, big reason i bought was because i helped make) should have snagged a couple off the line when production was still going.

Anyways i am located here in San Jose California, really close to the Alta HQ, are there any previous employees or anyone close who can help me out on this?

I've done electrical work and rebuilt motors so I'm not scared of digging in.

Just soo disappointed in my 2 wheeled child right now. =(

Hi all, I'm back and wondering if we still have BCU's available or if you know of any people near Massachusetts that know how to fix these bikes?

My husband and son will jump in to do the work but I'm the online communicator and part purchaser :)

Thanks for everyone's help back in July. Busy time on the farm so this got put aside...

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hi all, I'm back and wondering if we still have BCU's available or if you know of any people near Massachusetts that know how to fix these bikes?

My husband and son will jump in to do the work but I'm the online communicator and part purchaser :)

Thanks for everyone's help back in July. Busy time on the farm so this got put aside...

There are people on the East Coast who can do it. Its a bit more than just changing a part on the bike mechanically. 400V is not a joke. (Which has been the theme in this thread) BCUs exist with the liquidator, but they need to be properly installed and programmed in order to communicate with the pack. @ababaokas bike was successfully repaired and his lid has allowed the repairs of another Alta along with one on deck on the west coast.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Quinn's EXR's is working!

The bike stopped working in June. As it was described, it was working fine and then it wasn't.

The fault was the ACM's 9v lithium battery. A bit of a PITA to get to since the battery has to be removed, but at least it's straight forward.

There doesn't seem to be a correlation to the 9v batteries failing, old bike or newer, some fail.