Fly Like An Eagle

F451

Ouch, my nuts are aching from here, Lol.

And am I seeing it right? Looks like the rear wheel is not spinning, or even freewheeling when he lands? If the rear brake is on, he's effectively levering the front end into the ground when the bike lands. Not the best technique.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
He launched well and then applied the rear brake to keep the front end down, so this is why the rear wheel stopped. I am not sure if opening the throttle just before landing would have resulted in a better outcome. He was pretty lucky to get out of it without injuries. These bikes just aren't made for jumping.

sidewayzsmith

So really this has nothing to do with the bike. He was not making the landing and needed more speed, and knew it as soon as he left the lip. If he had enough speed it would have been fine.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
So really this has nothing to do with the bike. He was not making the landing and needed more speed, and knew it as soon as he left the lip. If he had enough speed it would have been fine.
Coming up short or long on a new jump is a routine occurrence in motocross. Bikes that are made for jumping do not crack in half each time you go to a new track.

sidewayzsmith

Good point, but also the motorcycles are all designed by one manufacturer, forks, wheels and all.

These bikes just use off the shelf mountain bike forks, which have also broken on big jumps/features like red bull rampage.