Footpeg dragging in ruts

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I've been experiencing situations lately in deep ruts where the footpegs drag in the dirt and pack dirt/mud between the footpeg and the mounting bracket, preventing the footpeg from returning to flat. Also, the peg digs so far deep into the dirt in some cases it will actually bog down the bike in the corner, kind of like dropping an anchor.

Anyone else having this issue? Does the skidplate provide coverage over the footpeg mounting bracket and help prevent this, or will i have to make my own footpeg cover to prevent this?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I experience the footpeg drag every time I try to lean the bike more than usual on my backyard figure 8 track.

Most of the tracks that I ride at do not have very deep ruts, but I am sure the footpegs will start dragging in the very first deep rut. The Alta footpegs are lower than the footpegs on all my other bikes, so it will be the first bike to bog down in a deep rut.

I have a skid plate, and I do not think it makes much of a difference because the footpegs will catch the rut much sooner. It might help in deeps ruts on straightaways though.

snydes

Staff member
Well, they would either keep the dirt out or get shredded upon impact... a very good idea to try though!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
They seem to get good reviews. Some of the reviewers say they prevent this very issue. I can just see them moving around under deep/loamy conditions as they contact the dirt.

I'll order a set and try them this weekend. Racing LACR this Sunday.

Scooter584

I've got some but not on my Alta, they do work, they will wear out though. I used to have that happen all the time and during a Moto fight getting the peg to go back down.

bsatt69

My foot pegs on the Alta drag much sooner in ruts than on my Ktm's. This hasn't been much of a concern and kind of makes you feel fast when you always here the foot peg clicking in corners. Then last week my foot was ripped off while standing going down a straight with deep ruts, that got my attention.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sucks for woods riding too. Better stand and sit with both feet on them toes, else you can break a foot if you hit some stump hidden in the grass.