Front Fender Slap

Honcho

2013-2016 CRF fender will fit as well with no mods. Not sure if the '13 is any stiffer than the '09-'12 though.

Not sure about the '17/'18 fitment. May work with just some spacers, and I'm betting a Honda owners forum will know for sure.

MattB

Update - the fenders arrived! I mounted up the Husky front fender first and it went fairly well.

I drilled and tapped the lower triple camp for M6 bolts then drilled 7mm holes in the plastic fender to match the bottom triple clamp holes.
I’m not 100% sold on the looks of the Husky fender but it’s WAY more rigid than the Honda fender.

A2CD96D5-B5A1-4F17-8DD7-161F328D4B26.jpeg

93E9070B-AA69-4F5C-8F1B-772F34D6CD36.jpeg

4912F938-6F19-4A82-AA82-983EE65AFA46.jpeg

648615D4-9FAA-4311-BD51-F4EF664248CA.jpeg

5DF07A29-FB14-4EDE-B843-B32D3DC144EF.jpeg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
@MattB I am about to install a KTM front plastic set on my bike. Can you draw a quick diagram with measurements showing exactly where you drilled the 2 new holes in front of the stock lower clamp, as well as the 2 new holes on the underside of the fender? I suppose i could figure it out myself, but a diagram with the measurements would take the guesswork out of it.

MattB

For the top holes, I used a set of calipers to measure center to center distance of the fender bolt holes. The height was determined by measuring from the base of the fender to the center of the holes. The last portion was just making sure the holes were centered on the triple clamps then..... drill/tap. I used a center punch to make sure the holes stayed in place and checked they were lining up before drilling the aluminum. You really only have one shot on the aluminum so take your time and triple check.

For the bottom/underneath holes, I used the grease transfer trick and then drilled the plastic. Grease transfer wasnt perfect so I had to enlarge the holes I drilled in the fender slightly.

Sorry I don't have exact dimensions recorded.

MattB

Yep! I favored the KTM front fender as well so I bought both and decided to install the Husky fender first just in case I screwed it up. LOL

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I plan on 3d printing an adapter plate to allow the stock triples to be used with a KTM front fender and plate without needing to drill the triple clamps.

Mark911

Services like this open up whole new opportunities CNC machining in Los Angeles | 3D Hubs. You no longer need to invest thousands in machines and machine tooling (like I did) or learn to generate tool paths via CAM (like I had to). All you need is a desktop, a good CAD program, basic measurement equipment, your own quest for knowledge and creativity and you're on your way to making your designs a reality. Man, I still remember having to use a slide rule in college!!!

MattB

Services like this open up whole new opportunities CNC machining in Los Angeles | 3D Hubs. You no longer need to invest thousands in machines and machine tooling (like I did) or learn to generate tool paths via CAM (like I had to). All you need is a desktop, a good CAD program, basic measurement equipment, your own quest for knowledge and creativity and you're on your way to making your designs a reality. Man, I still remember having to use a slide rule in college!!!

Yep.... I'm in the CNC / Manf. world as well. I use 3D printers a lot but not much for production parts, only for prototyping and fitment tests. I think PETG printed parts would hold up okay but I'm not sure I would trust them in a race.

Matt

snydes

Staff member
I plan on 3d printing an adapter plate to allow the stock triples to be used with a KTM front fender and plate without needing to drill the triple clamps.

This was one of my winter projects I haven’t got to yet (machining an adapter). If you have and dimensions you’d be willing to share it would save me some work blueprinting everything.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
This was one of my winter projects I haven’t got to yet (machining an adapter). If you have and dimensions you’d be willing to share it would save me some work blueprinting everything.

Sure, I'll see what I can do. Probably going to be a few weeks until I get around to that project though. I'll keep you posted.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I really like how that KTM fender looks on there, I may consider copying you in the future when I damage my OEM fender. Thanks for sharing.

snydes

Staff member
The main advantage will be the elimination of the Alta fender brace. There is too much flex in it and it will fail eventually.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The main advantage will be the elimination of the Alta fender brace. There is too much flex in it and it will fail eventually.

Agreed. I'm on my third fender bracket already, and i bought my bike in August! This is my main driver for wanting to make a conversion bracket.

snydes

Staff member
Much to my surprise when I was in contact with Alta about it back in August they claimed to be completely surprised and said they had not seen any other failures. @MX8 might even remember the discussion.

Tuner

I am noticing the front fender slapping the front tire due to the front fender being so flexible. This makes an awful racket every time it happens. Anyone else seeing this?

I am looking for a more rigid solution similar to KTM.

The Alta MX front fender is "nose down" a bit, and does have a tendency to slap, particularly when packed with mud.
Shimming the fender via the rear mounting location will bring the nose up and reduce slapping.