Help me convert an MXR into an SMR -- Progress Thread

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all!

I got myself some SM parts to convert one of my MXRs into an SMR. But I can't figure out how the front brake hose should be routed around all the brackets and the headlight. Please help me out.

IMG_20190826_2352000~2.jpg

IMG_20190826_2352150~2.jpg

IMG_20190826_2353141~2.jpg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Step #1: Send me your bike so I can look at it for a few weeks, maybe ride around a bit, and generally get in touch with how the hose “feels” like being routed. Get the whole feng shui vibe thing going, balance the battery, contemplate the rightness of the universe. Generally balance the go and the stop energies. Then I can send it back and give my recommendation on correct routing. Because I want to help my good AOF bud with his dilemma. It’s the least I could do.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Step #1: Send me your bike so I can look at it for a few weeks, maybe ride around a bit, and generally get in touch with how the hose “feels” like being routed. Get the whole feng shui vibe thing going, balance the battery, contemplate the rightness of the universe. Generally balance the go and the stop energies. Then I can send it back and give my recommendation on correct routing. Because I want to help my good AOF bud with his dilemma. It’s the least I could do.
That was going to be my offer, except I couldn't offer the whole Feng shui part. I'm afraid I failed hippy studies 101 in engineering school.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I believe the SM,EX,EXR has a longer front brake line than the MX/MXR. They were actually different Alta part numbers. I don't think the MXR brake line will have enough slack to route behind and above the headlight assembly like the one on the EX/EXR does. I could be wrong, but you might have to get a longer front brake line.

Here's how the EXR looks:

1566932732786.png

1566932765182.png

1566933070099.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the SM,EX,EXR has a longer front brake line than the MX/MXR. They were actually different Alta part numbers. I don't think the MXR brake line will have enough slack to route behind and above the headlight assembly like the one on the EX/EXR does. I could be wrong, but you might have to get a longer front brake line.

Here's how the EXR looks:

View attachment 3676

View attachment 3677

View attachment 3678
I was thinking about this possibility. But with my display remaining on top of the handlebars, I should have a plenty of room behind the headlight. If I make sure the line doesn't catch onto any hooks, I think I can make it work.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out I will be needing help with more items. I am converting this into a progress thread. Changing the thread title from
"Help me figure out the front brake hose routing on the SMR" to
"Help me convert an MXR into an SMR".

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Removed the side numbers and installed a new rear fender with tail light mounting points.

A much cleaner look now. Maybe I should peel the graphics from the shrouds too.

IMG_20190901_2132327~2.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered 13T and 14T front sprockets. My current gearing with 12F/45R sprockets pulls strong but makes too much noise. The 14F/45R will be close to the SM's stock 15F/50R gearing.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Front and the Rear accessory harnesses here (Thank you, @ayden_kry!). I have already connected a New Rage Cycles tail light to the Rear accessory harness. The Front accessory harness plugs into the ACM, replacing the blank connector there. The Rear accessory harness plugs into the Front accessory harness. I am not sure into which connector though, the gray #1 or the white #2.

Could someone help me figure out what these connectors #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are for?

The list of possible accessories:
- The left handlebar switch
- The front brake switch
- The rear brake switch
- The kickstand switch
- What else???

IMG_20190901_2116027~2.jpg

Mark911

#3 and #4 look like they go into the open pigtails from the ACM. Not sure about the application, those are low voltage (3-5v) pins. Maybe some of the accessories only need 3-5 volts?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
#3 and #4 look like they go into the open pigtails from the ACM. Not sure about the application, those are low voltage (3-5v) pins. Maybe some of the accessories only need 3-5 volts?
Makes sense! All the switches are probably low-voltage switches that alert the ACM.

- The left handlebar switch
- The front brake switch
- The rear brake switch
- The kickstand switch

The ACM then decides who gets the 12V voltage.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My guesses then are:

#1 - Rear accessory harness
#2 - The left handlebar switch
#3 - ACM
#4 - ACM
#5 and #6 - The rear brake switch and the kickstand switch
#7 - The front brake switch

Mark911

Yes, agreed, the low voltage is probably signal not working voltage. All external accessories would be both controlled (input signal) and powered (12v?) through the second ACM connector/harness. You'd think there'd be some additional safety features that mimic an ICE bike, like a kickstand and/or clutch interlock loop . . . . . things that prevent forward motion unless certain conditions are satisfied.

wwmotors

This is my SM conversion. I went the outside around with the brakeline, as You can see on the picture. I took a brakeadapter from KTM, to fit it to the 320mm brakedisc. The wheelspacers i had to measure myself, because this is not like KTM measurements. I went in the cartinghall in cold german winter with the bike. It works pretty good and i was faster than with th 250 rentalbikes there! But I have one problem: The mapping always jumpes back to map 1, no matter what map i start with. Anyone experienced the same problem? What could be the reason for? This problem never occured with the MX wheelset!

IMG_E5970.JPG

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is my SM conversion. I went the outside around with the brakeline, as You can see on the picture. I took a brakeadapter from KTM, to fit it to the 320mm brakedisc. The wheelspacers i had to measure myself, because this is not like KTM measurements. I went in the cartinghall in cold german winter with the bike. It works pretty good and i was faster than with th 250 rentalbikes there! But I have one problem: The mapping always jumpes back to map 1, no matter what map i start with. Anyone experienced the same problem? What could be the reason for? This problem never occured with the MX wheelset!

View attachment 3695
I see you re-routed your stock MX/MXR front brake hose because you installed a big front brake disk. Makes sense. Why did you have to mess with wheel spacers?

Not sure why the mapping would jump back to 1. Never heard of that.

You have an interesting choice of tires. They look like dirt track tires, but you said you go to karting hall, which probably has painted concrete floor. Do these tires allow larger slip/drift angles, and are they more fun than slicks?