Houston we have a problem ! Code 36

Trialsman

I went to take my dual sport '19 EXR Alta (Serial...145) out today, and saw the dreaded CODE 36 warning. Last year I was able to pick up a dealer laptop with the dealer version of Multi-tool but it is not the right version I believe. In dash I do not see the individual cell levels to check which one (probably pack 1) is at fault.

Laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad running Ubuntu. I purchased the cable and dongle from @TCMB371 so I can connect it to the bike. The bad part is I do not have the root password so I cannot see anything beside the Multi-tool ver 3.36.22.D. It also does not help I am a Mac user and am clueless on this non-Mac machine.

My questions are;
Can I change the root password so I have full function of the machine?
Is there a link for me to download the engineering version of MT to use on this system (Ubuntu ver???)? Corrected: Ubuntu ver 16.04 LTS
Once I can determine the faulty pack, is anyone still doing the repair of the wire bond?

Right now the bike charges and runs fine, but I want to catch it before it progresses.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love the bikes.

Dirt-E

Mine had a lot of corrosion on the cells that eventually bit the dust so I know your plight.

That being said, I have a virtual machine loaded onto my laptop running the old version of Ubuntu in order to communicate with the bike. It needed a $70 adapter and the little connector to interface with the can-bus. I had help with it so I can't tell you exactly how it's done, but it's not difficult to accomplish.

Trialsman

Another question would be; can I somehow transfer over the riding logs for my two bikes? I am assuming when I update Ubuntu and MT they could get lost in the shuffle.