Insurance and Titling in the US

snydes

Staff member
The goal is to have your Pennsylvania title come back as a standard motorcycle (MC) branded title. Each state handles things differently. If you have a off road dirt bike with a Maryland title, it will transfer into PA as a regular MC title. Then it’s just a matter of registration and inspection. If your PA title is branded ORV, then you essentially must go through the process for a reconstructed title. The total in fees will depend how much the enhanced inspection station charges for their services, but the total fees for that and PennDot will be measured in the hundreds.

I can help anyone who needs to understand the PA requirements, just PM me.

Trialsman

I did not have to do the whole reconstructed vehicle process. I was able to get the title through AAA with my MSO. For the PA state inspection is where I needed all the street items. There was never any problem with the process. I have had vehicles in the past that were much different. The MSO is branded "motorcycle" not" off road only" so this was easy. Once it is titled in another state as a "motorcycle", PA will transfer it right in with the paperwork and verification of the VIN.

snydes

Staff member
I did not have to do the whole reconstructed vehicle process. I was able to get the title through AAA with my MSO. For the PA state inspection is where I needed all the street items. There was never any problem with the process. I have had vehicles in the past that were much different. The MSO is branded "motorcycle" not" off road only" so this was easy. Once it is titled in another state as a "motorcycle", PA will transfer it right in with the paperwork and verification of the VIN.

That's good to know. I was under the impression that's how the title would come back based on the MSO. The enhanced vehicle process is a whole different animal.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So the wonderful state of Virginia refused to title my MXR. Because the previous owner didn't title it (even though by law he didn't have to) VA will not provide me a title. The MSO and Bill of Sale wasn't enough. I hope when I move to PA they will recognize my ownership. I don't mind paying more, but refusing to title a vehicle based on what the previous owner did is BS.

snydes

Staff member
I would question that one :mad:

There are a few ways around your problem but none of them should be necessary when you have a MSO and a bill of sale. You should be alright getting a title in Pennsylvania.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I sent an e-mail to a lawyer who specializes in motorcycle cases. But if it's going to cost me over $200 in lawyers fees, then it's probably not worth it.

snydes

Staff member
Was that one notarys opinion or did that come right from v-dot? In PA you can get varying interpretations of the rules from notary to notary, and sometimes the workers right at the penndot main office know even less.

privateer703

AOF Addict
That was at the VA DMV. They had to call the manager and look up Minnesota laws. I think the problem is they were looking strictly at highway vehicles. In MN where I bought it, they will not provide titles to off-highway vehicles. There is a rule in VA that you may title an off-highway vehicle for proof of ownership. I'm going to try going again and explain to them that it is an off-highway vehicle and does not get a title where I bought it used. I have printed some documents that explain MN titling law. Hopefully that will work. I may get a title that says off-highway, but I don't care so long as I get a title.

snydes

Staff member
IMO if there is any chance that it would come back as an OHV branded title I would not do it considering you are coming to PA anyhow. That’s only going to cause you a big problem in PA if you ever wanted to register it. Look into getting a South Dakota title and registration if you really need a title now.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Once I get a title I can then register it (tags and reg stickers), then I can get it inspected and get safety sticker. I don't think in VA there is a difference in titles except for major differences car/motorcycle/trailers/commercial trucks, since those have different tags. I'm almost positive that motorcycle only have one type of title. Off-road vehicles don't require titles in VA, so I'm almost 100% positive that the title only says motorcycle on it.

jerryditzler

In the part of Florida, My home is it is very regular for the owner to pay for Title Insurance. It provides evidence that the owner actually operates the house free as a bird with no atmosphere or title insurance.

SuburbanDad

In Oregon I registered as a daylight dual sport. Just headlight, taillight and brake light, and folding mirror. Walked in with an MSO, walked out with plates. No inspection or anything. Oregon is usually a stickler about titling off road designated bikes on the road, but since the MSO states the bike meets federal safety and emissions standards, that does it. I did have to make sure the dealer didn't register the bike for me though. They would have branded the title off road only 😐

privateer703

AOF Addict
I was able to successfully title and register my MXR in Virginia. It was a bit of a run around, but ultimately the hardest part was waiting for the paperwork to be processed.