Is MXR & EXR Rear Shock The Same

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I bought an MXR cause it was a really good deal, but I would love a softer rear suspension as I only trail ride. I'd be willing to swap rear suspensions.

E-Bro

So I bought an MXR cause it was a really good deal, but I would love a softer rear suspension as I only trail ride. I'd be willing to swap rear suspensions.
Did you swap suspensions? I have 1 Ex, 1 MX & 1 SM shock . which do you want? I want a MXR not a MX. And you probably swapped already. But luck has been good to me lately. So here is my shot

E-Bro

MXR and EXR shocks are not interchangeable with SM/MX/EX.
Is it because of the linkage differences, & or the rear subframe being different? I could buy a new mxr rear subframe. Or do you suggest re-valving and re spring the Shocks i have now? Thank you for the response

snydes

Staff member
The shock mounting points are located differently, so if you were to try and install the MXR/EXR style shock on a MX/EX/EXR the reservoir will not clear the subframe. The entire rear bulkhead would have to be swapped out to properly mount it, or you have to cut/notch/clearance the rear subframe.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
The shock mounting points are located differently, so if you were to try and install the MXR/EXR style shock on a MX/EX/EXR the reservoir will not clear the subframe. The entire rear bulkhead would have to be swapped out to properly mount it, or you have to cut/notch/clearance the rear subframe.

Exactly. We did a slight machining change to the RBH (rear bulkhead) to fit the newer EXR/MXR rear shock. You can honestly get the rear shock and WP forks re-done for your weight, that would be more effective (most riders really dont touch suspension unless they really really understand the suspension)

E-Bro

Thank you for breaking it down for me. I do have a spare rear subframe.
I do have a spare subframe, as i was going to build a 2nd bike from all new parts . but finding a battery/ controller, & all of the wiring will not be as easy as hoped. I will most likely revalve and respring my spare MX shock, as suggested by numerous forum members on here, that have been down this road before. I really need to spend more time going thru all these topics. So that i am well versed in the info needed to address certain tweaks and changes. Which would help keep the repeated questions down to a minimum. There are many of you who are in the know zone & i appreciate all of you who invested your time & money into making this a great forum to be a resource worthy of answers to all the future new alta owners to come. I hope to be a asset as well to someone somehow.

E-Bro

This. Changing the link is also possible to get you there on the shock.
Waiting for the link to be delivered, as I've read that it has helped with some peoples suspensions complaints. But i assume the respringing and revalving should do me the most justice. I was thinking ktm world or stevenson or the 1-2 other suggestions other forums members have had good luck with

Matt

E-Rider
Waiting for the link to be delivered, as I've read that it has helped with some peoples suspensions complaints. But i assume the respringing and revalving should do me the most justice. I was thinking ktm world or stevenson or the 1-2 other suggestions other forums members have had good luck with
I have had great success with Steve Mathewson here in NY. I don't have any complaints on the set up he did for me.