Knee braces - which one?

Oded

Used knee guards until now, and would like to upgrade to a knee brace.
Candidates are -
Mobius
Leatt
Asterisk
Pod

Of course, fitting will be the the major concern, but from your experience, any recommendation?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I have the Asterisk Ultra Cell braces. I had the Asterisk Cell braces for almost ten years and then bought these when those were getting worn out. They are painfully expensive, but much cheaper than knee surgery. I came very close to tearing up my left knee several times when I was only wearing large knee/shin guards. These braces have a lot of adjustment, they fit me very well, are very well made, and seem to provide good impact protection and very good joint support and stabilization. They also have a strap to connect to your boots to improve the stabilization. I can highly recommend them IF they fit you correctly. I would definitely suggest finding a way to try on any expensive knee brace before buying; or at a minimum have a sure way to return them if they don't fit exactly right. It can even be a good idea to get an orthopedist to provide a recommendation and guidance in fitting and use.

My only complaint is that after hours of riding and constant standing/sitting/standing/sitting they tend to slide down a small amount. I think this is true of any brace like this and you can pull them back up while riding. It is a small annoyance that is more than offset by the protection.

Anyway, here is a U.S. vendor's page for these braces: Asterisk Ultra Cell Knee Braces $$

Scott

I am using the Mobius x8 braces and I like them very much. I used the Asterisk braces for about five years and they were wearing out. I squeeze the bike lots and with the Asterisk braces I would always punch through the leather on the sides of the pants in very short order. This does not happen with the Mobius braces.

https://www.mobiusbraces.com/store/...pa_color=grey-crimson&attribute_pa_size=large

As for keeping the braces in place, these work well.

leatt.com/shop/knee-brace-pants.html

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I........
As for keeping the braces in place, these work well.

leatt.com/shop/knee-brace-pants.html

Nice. I had not seen those. It would negate using the boot strap on the Asterisk braces without some modification to the pants, but I may need to give those a try. Thanks.

Trialsman

I used the Asterisk Ultracell and they gave me much more confidence in the woods knowing (thinking) my knee would not go out at some moment. I have since gone to the Pods carbon. I really liked the Boa lace up on the Asterisk which is the same system I also have on my Rev'it boots. The advantage of the Pods is they will fit under my riding pants where the Asterisk had a very large thigh protector and it snagged and sometimes made it nearly impossible to get the pants off at the end of the day.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
What a great topic to discuss, and just in time as I am on my second week of recovery from total knee replacement surgery. I was in Reno today and tried a set of Asterisk racing cell braces. At $700 plus, I will probably go this route as they have an exo skeletal frame and a polymer protector cover. I know my new knee is made from titanium, but that doesn't mean the flesh around is any less vulnerable.

Oded

Valuable information in this thread.
I will try them out, as we have them locally, so that won't be a problem.

The Asterisk are considered here to be the most advanced (also pricewise), but are quite bulky.
They do have the ability to connect to the boot, preventing knee rotation.

I already had a meniscus operation (not motorcycle related), so i know the feeling.

We also have thr EVS here, not very popular.

CTI are twice the price, but are medically most advanced. These can be tailored to your specific size.

Oded

Did any of the Mobius owners had problems with the cables needing replacement?
Read the Mobius tend to be quite hot (no ventilation).

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Did any of the Mobius owners had problems with the cables needing replacement?
Read the Mobius tend to be quite hot (no ventilation).

Thats only on the first version of the braces (which i had). They initially used a braided steel cable that would fray over time. It happened to me and they sent me the nylon cables that come on the new braces free of charge. Changing the cable was easy. Any new mobius braces you buy today will come with the nylon cables, so no worries there.

Bloak

I've had custom fitted CTi braces. Went to Asterisk Ulta cells with boa straps. The adjustability of Asterisk braces allowed me to "custom" fit to my liking and would say comfort was same as custom CTi.
Used Asterisks for decade. Last year decided to go with Mobius X8. Prefer these more than the Asterisks.
Its personal preference for fit. If you can try on multiple braces, should be able to find something you like

charlengifford

My main recommendation, especially for you and everyone else who is interested in this issue, will be that you, together with your attending physician, need to figure out exactly what kind of injury to your knee you have. Because it depends on what kind of knee pad you need to use, because they are all designed for different types of injuries and using it incorrectly you can cause yourself even more harm. Personally, I ordered them for myself using a special service dunbarmedical.com . I hope I helped you.

Jayfox911

Thats only on the first version of the braces (which i had). They initially used a braided steel cable that would fray over time. It happened to me and they sent me the nylon cables that come on the new braces free of charge. Changing the cable was easy. Any new mobius braces you buy today will come with the nylon cables, so no worries there.
I have mobius braces. Before that was pod and before that was Asterisk

Custom are probably the best you could ever get however the mobius braces stay in place best for my skinny legs.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I ride the Mobius, and they are comfortable. They seem to stay in place well. Once I start riding, I don’t really notice them. They take a while to put on, as you have to adjust the straps each time (no quick-clip option). I can’t really compare to other braces as I haven’t worn other ones. I started wearing the braces not only to protect my questionably creaky knees, but to protect them from the cheese-grater Alta shrouds, as they were shredding my inner knees. I think I have mostly learned to grip the bike farther back, but back then I was very annoyed with the shredder shrouds.

Also, I highly recommend some kind of knee brace sleeve or sock or pants. They come in alot of different styles, mostly thin lycra. I use the Thor knee brace sleeves that go from about mid calf to mid thigh. They provide a bit of friction-protection for your skin, wick up the sweat, and I have found they keep my leg cooler. They also seem to keep the knee braces from getting as stinky, since dead skin doesn’t get directly transferred to the brace from being in direct contact with your leg. I generally fold the top of the sleeve over the top of the brace, and they don’t slide down.

Top Bottom