Maintenance & no-maintenance blues

WoodsWeapon

Tonight I did an oil change and washed and oiled 7 airfilters for my 17 KTM350XC, it was miserable and I hated every minute of it. Ive spent 30 years in my garage building motors, working on, and restoring offroad bikes. The Alta has ruined that for me, Im just not sure if its a good or a bad thing.

strider

I went through a similar process when I switched to Teslas. I had fond memories of working on cars with my Dad and when I did the things he taught me I felt connected to him. Of course there were plenty of frustrating times when we'd strip a bolt, bang a knuckle, having oily bots of dirt fall into your eyes while you're taking something off, etc. I certainly don't miss those parts, but we always made it through and we'd sit back with a beer and laugh about how we'd done something stupid and had to fix it.

I also felt that I would miss passing those skills on to my kids.

But over the last few years I've realized that I have more time to just go out and do other stuff with my kids, instead of working on cars with them. It also seems that dirt bikes need love beyond the drive train (I've never adjusted a spoke in my life) so there are still jobs that need to be done. Finally, you can obsess over charging regimens, the perfect place to run outlets in your garage, etc. :)

snydes

Staff member
I’m with you. I think now that their is an option we all are realizing the value of (almost) no maintenance. Before it was a necessity that you just had to accept. I have almost no free time anymore, so what time I can scrape together I want to spend having fun.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Was just thinking that last night myself! I was standing in my garage staring at my new MXR trying to figure out what prep work I could do. I glanced over at my 04 KX125 and thought to myself "Wow... I would be elbow deep in air filter oil and dirt right now if i were riding the 125 tomorrow." So instead, i hopped on the Alta and cruised around my neighborhood without disturbing anyone. It was wonderful.

Just for the record (I have never had a gasoline dirt bike), what are the major maintenance items, and how often to you perform them? (per "X" hours of engine run time)

Reactions: Rix

Ireek

It's a good thing. I sold my Alta SM and bought a KTM 690 Enduro R and a KTM Duke 390, I'm not throwing rocks at the KTM's by any means but the two bikes I've chosen sure make some funny noises and are high maintenance. I'll be back on an Alta someday...