General Mark911 moving to Ohio

Mark911

I'm saying goodbye to SoCal and hello to the Columbus area of Ohio. Bad news for the west coast Alta owners needed specialized diagnostic and repairs, but good new to the folks back east. Although I no longer own an Alta, I kept all my spare parts, packs, test station, repair equipment and schematics. It's typically been a "remove and replace" when it comes to the main modules as Liquid Performance has been able to provide complete units. But eventually, they'll run out making repair the only option. I hope all my hours of reverse engineering the system will help keep the east coast Alta dream going for years to come.

BTW, I'm tempted to design and build a pack similar to the Varg, but so far there's just not enough demand to make it worthwhile. Maybe someday.

rayivers

May your move go smoothly! I spent a bunch of time there in the late 70's, met some excellent folks.

Since apparently Varg sells new packs, it might be cool to offer battery mods/lightening if feasible, saving a ton of work. At the very least, it'd be an excellent opportunity to get familar with the unit. I thought I saw battery cases available on their parts site a few weeks back, maybe not (if so, it's gone now).

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm saying goodbye to SoCal and hello to the Columbus area of Ohio. Bad news for the west coast Alta owners needed specialized diagnostic and repairs, but good new to the folks back east. Although I no longer own an Alta, I kept all my spare parts, packs, test station, repair equipment and schematics. It's typically been a "remove and replace" when it comes to the main modules as Liquid Performance has been able to provide complete units. But eventually, they'll run out making repair the only option. I hope all my hours of reverse engineering the system will help keep the east coast Alta dream going for years to come.

BTW, I'm tempted to design and build a pack similar to the Varg, but so far there's just not enough demand to make it worthwhile. Maybe someday.
My wife and I may be moving east also (looking at TN this weekend). I may be your guinea pig for a 21700 Alta battery replacement :)

Trialsman

Welcome to the neighborhood Mark. I live in Pittsburgh, but my son lives in Gahanna (East side of Columbus) and we are out there all the time. I'd like to meet up with you some time. I hope things go smoothly on your move.

Mark911

We've already bought a property in Ashville. It's 12 acers farming land (flat and tilled). My plan is to build a few tracks just for fun. I'll need to buy a bobcat and some attachments, put in a watering system, etc. The front yard is about an acer of grass, so one of those big ass lawn mowers is in the near future as well. Luckily, the property has a rather large pole barn to hold all this equipment.
My shop and future track(s) will be open to any and all. So, of course I look forward to meeting as many new friends as possible.

Brian, that would be really cool. I'm not sure what Starks plans/requirements are for US dealerships, but maybe you can find out as I'd be interested. Together, we'd have the service end covered as with your EV software and my EV electrical/mechanical knowledge we'd be eminently qualified. Maybe too qualified, as Stark may not want certain company proprietary info leaking out. But that's what NDAs are for, lol.

I'd ask what's the franchise cost, the minimum inventory (bikes and parts), what kind of storefront they require, regional/area guarantees, etc. At this point, I'd assume terms would be rather flexible as they build up a network. If they've decided to only go with established dealers as Alta did, well, that would be too bad as most (all) have no idea about EVs.

Fod

Hey Brian! Really enjoyed watching your overseas video! Before we moved from socal to NW Arkansas a few years ago, we looked in Tennessee as well. Moto was not something we had high on our list, but we really liked Chattanooga. Just wasn't God's plan for us as all our offers got rejected but just wanted to throw that town at you to check out! All our friends and family said we will be crawling back to California after the winters. Nope! Only complaint was we didn't move earlier. Wishing you and Mark the best!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
We've already bought a property in Ashville. It's 12 acers farming land (flat and tilled). My plan is to build a few tracks just for fun. I'll need to buy a bobcat and some attachments, put in a watering system, etc. The front yard is about an acer of grass, so one of those big ass lawn mowers is in the near future as well. Luckily, the property has a rather large pole barn to hold all this equipment.
My shop and future track(s) will be open to any and all. So, of course I look forward to meeting as many new friends as possible.
Hey new neighbor, welcome to the neighborhood! I will be 3 hours north of you.

If you need help shoveling, let me know. I would love to make a weekend road trip in the motovan!

allesad

Great Move Mark911! I live in Cincinnati. 2 hours south of Columbus. So, Glad to have you and your expertise in the local area.
My Alta S/N 36 with 983 single track miles runs perfect. DREAM Bike.
Keep Alta ALIVE.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

Sorry to hear that your moving out of California. Interesting that you indicate that theres bad news for the West coast.

Motophyllic

Welcome to the east coast. You’re now 8 hours away from me. Much better than 40, but still a hike. I hope you enjoy the move. Best of luck!!

AL_V

Welcome to Ohio,
I am in Canton, there's a lot of cool single track at Perry state forest, just over 1 hour from Ashville.
But Columbus already has a Stark dealer.

Stark Future.jpg