Media Review Media Week in Spain - Electric Cycle Rider

rayivers

Let's just take traction control as an example

Imo it would be cool to take a non-rpm-related approach to TC, using a swingarm-mounted pressure sensor/pivot arm/small sprocket on the top chain run. You'd need baseline max-traction chain tension data (slicks on asphalt) and also throttle-position input, but you'd end up with TC action activated pre-wheelspin by a much closer analog to actual RW traction then a rate-of-rpm-increase system kicking in only after wheelspin starts.

rayivers

The panic rev situation really gums up the works. Disable all traction control if both forks and shock are fully extended?

On a torque-based system, a minimum TC-activation level (wheel intertia/chain & bearing drag/etc) could be set, allowing panic rev. With zero traction available in the air, there'd be no point in having the TC online.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Most riders de-tuned to 90% _torque_ (not power as stated in most of the videos) -- more speed and less energy at the same time.
Ha! We do the same on the Alta by changing from the stock 12-tooth front sprocket to 13T or 14T. This decrease the mat torque by 7-14% and makes the bike more rideable at low speeds, allows you to pin the throttle and hold it wide open. And you can then use Map 4 more often, and the bike will remain manageable. And you will actually have more power on straightaways above 35mph. Very useful if the track has long high-speed jumps.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The panic rev situation really gums up the works. Disable all traction control if both forks and shock are fully extended?
I am sure the Varg, like the Alta, has a 3-axial accelerometer chip. It will show exactly 1g of downwards acceleration every time the bike is up in the air. Disable traction control when this happens for longer than 0.5 seconds. Problem solved.

I hope the Varg has a 3-axial gyro chip too. Disable traction control if the bike is doing a nose wheelie. This would have saved Jett Lawrence from breaking a collarbone two years ago.
2020 Supercross | Round 3 - A2 | 250SX West Main Event | Lawrence Crash Angle 2

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I am sure the Varg, like the Alta, has a 3-axial accelerometer chip. It will show exactly 1g of downwards acceleration every time the bike is up in the air. Disable traction control when this happens for longer than 0.5 seconds. Problem solved.

I hope the Varg has a 3-axial gyro chip too. Disable traction control if the bike is doing a nose wheelie. This would have saved Jett Lawrence from breaking a collarbone two years ago.
2020 Supercross | Round 3 - A2 | 250SX West Main Event | Lawrence Crash Angle 2
still tough to watch....