Media Review Media Week in Spain - Electric Cycle Rider

rayivers

Let's just take traction control as an example

Imo it would be cool to take a non-rpm-related approach to TC, using a swingarm-mounted pressure sensor/pivot arm/small sprocket on the top chain run. You'd need baseline max-traction chain tension data (slicks on asphalt) and also throttle-position input, but you'd end up with TC action activated pre-wheelspin by a much closer analog to actual RW traction then a rate-of-rpm-increase system kicking in only after wheelspin starts.

rayivers

The panic rev situation really gums up the works. Disable all traction control if both forks and shock are fully extended?

On a torque-based system, a minimum TC-activation level (wheel intertia/chain & bearing drag/etc) could be set, allowing panic rev. With zero traction available in the air, there'd be no point in having the TC online.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Most riders de-tuned to 90% _torque_ (not power as stated in most of the videos) -- more speed and less energy at the same time.
Ha! We do the same on the Alta by changing from the stock 12-tooth front sprocket to 13T or 14T. This decrease the mat torque by 7-14% and makes the bike more rideable at low speeds, allows you to pin the throttle and hold it wide open. And you can then use Map 4 more often, and the bike will remain manageable. And you will actually have more power on straightaways above 35mph. Very useful if the track has long high-speed jumps.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The panic rev situation really gums up the works. Disable all traction control if both forks and shock are fully extended?
I am sure the Varg, like the Alta, has a 3-axial accelerometer chip. It will show exactly 1g of downwards acceleration every time the bike is up in the air. Disable traction control when this happens for longer than 0.5 seconds. Problem solved.

I hope the Varg has a 3-axial gyro chip too. Disable traction control if the bike is doing a nose wheelie. This would have saved Jett Lawrence from breaking a collarbone two years ago.
2020 Supercross | Round 3 - A2 | 250SX West Main Event | Lawrence Crash Angle 2

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I am sure the Varg, like the Alta, has a 3-axial accelerometer chip. It will show exactly 1g of downwards acceleration every time the bike is up in the air. Disable traction control when this happens for longer than 0.5 seconds. Problem solved.

I hope the Varg has a 3-axial gyro chip too. Disable traction control if the bike is doing a nose wheelie. This would have saved Jett Lawrence from breaking a collarbone two years ago.
2020 Supercross | Round 3 - A2 | 250SX West Main Event | Lawrence Crash Angle 2
still tough to watch....

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Orrrr you could simply use max acceleration values where the bike won't allow the rear tire to spin up faster than a certain rate. Those limits obtained by lots of testing. :)

Wait until you're able to adjust traction control (acceleration rate) and regen/engine braking to suite your preferred riding style. It's going to blow your minds having all that tunability at your fingertips. The reality is there are pros and cons to higher or lower of each, and the best setting varies track to track. It'll be trilling to find the best configuration for you for each track, dirt condition, etc. And i really hope we're able to adjust some parameters on the fly without having to stop and mess with settings on the bike. It will vastly accelerate determining your best setting for a specific track and dirt type if you're able to massage the values to find the best one WHILE you're out riding in those conditions. Non of that guess/set/go out and test crap.

effinsiok

Good one. Excited to hear his follow-on comments on range. What he did say is that is has more range than the Alta which is great. I could only get about 35 miles of range on my Alta kinda taking it easy. I hope I can extend that to 50 with this one...
The battery is only 3.4% larger than our Alta’s, and say they gained 10% more efficiency out of the motor (which seems unlikely to me), you will only get another 4-5 miles or range in the same riding conditions.

I hope the bike is awesome, but I think we need to be realistic with the increased range.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I've heard all this talk about being able to create your own custom maps, does anyone know if this will include limiting top speed? It would really be nice to set up a trail map where I limit my top speed to 35-40, or even lower if I'm going through a rock garden.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The battery is only 3.4% larger than our Alta’s, and say they gained 10% more efficiency out of the motor (which seems unlikely to me), you will only get another 4-5 miles or range in the same riding conditions.

I hope the bike is awesome, but I think we need to be realistic with the increased range.
Could battery construction have an affect to efficiency?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Could battery construction have an affect to efficiency?
On a motocross track, when you drain the battery in under 30 minutes -- yes. But not when you are talking about leisurely trail riding and discharging the battery over 4 hours, or at the average rate of 0.25 C/hour. At this rate, the battery cells are not generating much heat. No battery power is wasted. So, even the DIY batteries with no heat sinks will work almost as efficiently as the best construction with large heat sinks or liquid cooling. So, for slow and relaxed trail riding, the range of the Varg should be pretty similar to the Alta. Maybe a little better if the regen and the traction control are set at their max levels, or a little worse because the Varg's larger motor may be less efficient at lower loads than the Alta's small motor. We will have to wait and see.