MX vs MXR

MXR_Z

Hello

Sorry for the question that sound basic but I did not found some of the answers.

Can someone comment on the main changes from the MX to the MXR?

I know that the MXR have better batteries, some more power and revised suspensions but I don t know how much technically better are the newer batteries in reliability, range and power.

Also is there any other noticeable update when in use maybe because of newer electronic controller ? ( throttle lag or engine brake or anything noticeable )

Would you still consider an MX or is an MXR really a better choice ? ( apart from suspensions )

Is it possible to use or update the MX battery for an MXR battery?

And last question is there any firmaware update or remap that will slightly improve the peak power of an MX or would it only change the power delivery?

Thanks

wwmotors

There are a lot of threads, which had discussed all items above already! But in short: I would always take a MXR for MX riding and a MX for trial or Enduro riding! The other way round, You have to make too much changes to the bikes, which cost a lot of effort and money!

snydes

Staff member
I admit I have trouble finding some of these discussions using the search function, but this has been discussed extensively multiple times.

Quick summary; power differences between the two only in map 4. Range is basically the same. If you are a seasoned MX guy the MXR is a better choice. MX stock suspension probably better for average trail riding. Can’t upgrade batteries.

MXR_Z

Thanks for the replies

In Map 4 the extra power is just noticeable or does it make it really much different and better?

The range in aggressive trail riding in Map 4 should be noticeably different between them? I read on another topic that maybe the MX would even have slightly better range with the old battery?

snydes

Staff member

There was some speculation that the cells that make up the MX battery would yield slightly more range, but I don’t think we really ever had any hard evidence of that. It certainly would be a negligible amount if any.

Oded

Thanks for the replies

In Map 4 the extra power is just noticeable or does it make it really much different and better?

The range in aggressive trail riding in Map 4 should be noticeably different between them? I read on another topic that maybe the MX would even have slightly better range with the old battery?
Riding trails on map 4 is not a common practice.
Brutal power and acceleration on the MX/EX as it is.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Riding trails on map 4 is not a common practice.
Brutal power and acceleration on the MX/EX as it is.
Riding trails in Map 4 is not recommended. I'd say if you're a really good motocross racer you might appreciate the extra power in map 4, but if you're anything but you probably won't even use it. All I do is trail ride and I wish I had gotten an MX and not the MXR... but the deal couldn't be beat at the time.

Judaslefourbe

There was some speculation that the cells that make up the MX battery would yield slightly more range, but I don’t think we really ever had any hard evidence of that. It certainly would be a negligible amount if any.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the cells have the same capacity but because the MXR cells will let you draw power faster, you usually end up with less range on paper. Not really noticeable in practice.

VINSANITY

About trail riding in map 4, initially I would trail ride in map 2 but over time I began to like having that instant power in map 4 to skim through whooped trails and get over obstacles.

Unfortunately map 4 got me real bad, was on some trails with standing water puddles, was sort of pounding through the whoops in map 4 and got a little sideways on tree roots, then the Alta got traction and I got launched.

Severely broken wrist, major operation and 8 months of therapy and the wrist is still not back to normal.

But most importantly the Alta is OK

privateer703

AOF Addict
Exactly why I think map 4 a bad idea in trails, especially tight trails. If there is a section I know I need a little more, I'll use map 3, otherwise I find 2 is plenty. But I'm not fast.

Oded

About trail riding in map 4, initially I would trail ride in map 2 but over time I began to like having that instant power in map 4 to skim through whooped trails and get over obstacles.

Unfortunately map 4 got me real bad, was on some trails with standing water puddles, was sort of pounding through the whoops in map 4 and got a little sideways on tree roots, then the Alta got traction and I got launched.

Severely broken wrist, major operation and 8 months of therapy and the wrist is still not back to normal.

But most importantly the Alta is OK
Wow, I can easily see it happens to me on map 4.
Since trail riding (opposed to MX) consist of different terrain types changing rapidly (rocks, roots, sand, mud, loose stones...), too much rear wheel power can cause wheel slide easily. The throttle hand should be very precise