MXR suspension for enduro style riding

dgedition

I was thinking about picking up an MXR for play riding out of the house. Anyone with MXR experience have insight on its ridability in the rocks/roots with this SX inspired suspension?

I know it wont be as nice as a revalved/resprung suspension but if I could get 80% of the way there with clickers and air adjustments Id be happy. I weigh in at 175 geared up so I luckily fall into the threshold of stocker suspension in general.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, dgedition!

I have some experience with riding rocks and roots. I have a root in my backyard that I hit every 25 seconds, and I rode a plenty or rocks in Arizona. The Redshift does very well in that terrain compared to ICE bikes. It has a ton of traction and is much more predictable.

I have an MX with a revalved suspension, and I just picked up an MXR. The MXR's suspension is stiffer than the stock MX suspension, but softer than my revalved MX suspension. I weigh 200 lbs. The damping is on the low side. So... it should be just right for you at the MX track.

However, for trail riding, if you do not want to do any jumps or bunny hops, you might want to try a rear spring that is about 4% softer, and of course, a lower fork air pressure.

The stock damping should be good enough for you. No revalve necessary.

And strongly consider running Goldentype Fatty front (search this forum), Tube Saddles in both wheels and low (6-10) air pressures in both tires. You will not flinch next time you encounter rocks and roots.

dgedition

Thanks for the quick replies!

Philip-Thanks for the insight, I'll try it box stock and see how it does.

I'll look into one of those Goldentyres and maybe throw an 18" on the back if I wanna get serious with this bike.

I've never heard of tube saddles, we usually just run bib mousse over here. Being able to run that low trials like PSI sounds interesting.

Oded-I was thinking about the EX but the weight is what turns me off. I had a Zero FX for a couple years and given its not in the same class as an EX I could really feel the weight off road. Unfortunately I'm spoiled with a 2-stroke 250 so weight is my biggest negative with an Alta. I know the EX is still super flickable but that 277lbs will show when you get into tricky sections.

I'm going to check before I get the MXR but here in Maryland I've had good luck titling new purchase offroad bikes as "motorcycles" and tagging them.

I wish Alta would just came out with a EXR, all my problems would be solved!

snydes

Staff member
Thanks for the quick replies!

Philip-Thanks for the insight, I'll try it box stock and see how it does.

I'll look into one of those Goldentyres and maybe throw an 18" on the back if I wanna get serious with this bike.

I've never heard of tube saddles, we usually just run bib mousse over here. Being able to run that low trials like PSI sounds interesting.

Oded-I was thinking about the EX but the weight is what turns me off. I had a Zero FX for a couple years and given its not in the same class as an EX I could really feel the weight off road. Unfortunately I'm spoiled with a 2-stroke 250 so weight is my biggest negative with an Alta. I know the EX is still super flickable but that 277lbs will show when you get into tricky sections.

I'm going to check before I get the MXR but here in Maryland I've had good luck titling new purchase offroad bikes as "motorcycles" and tagging them.

I wish Alta would just came out with a EXR, all my problems would be solved!

Check out the post by Elite Motorsports in the Parts category about a lighting kit they are in the process of developing for the MX and MXR. You might be able to build your own EXR.

dgedition

Check out the post by Elite Motorsports in the Parts category about a lighting kit they are in the process of developing for the MX and MXR. You might be able to build your own EXR.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I sent Alta a facebook message with my suspension and the same lighting questions and they straight ghosted me. :(

I guess it worked out though, I wouldn't have searched out this forum.

Oded

I also owned a Zero Fx for 2.5 years before upgrading to the Redshift EX. I used 1 brick in the Fx and can tell you that for some reason, the Redshift EX does not feel heavier, even in technical terrain.

I am not sure that buying a high end motocross bike and turning it into an endure bike is the best option. The added horsepower of the Mxr is not really needed for endure, as the bike is super strong as it is. Perhaps it will heat less.
The suspension will need work for sure. Perhaps the 2018 MX is a valid option - cost less and it's suspension, although tuned for motocross is softer and can work quite well for endure as it is.

All that said, if you have the opportunity to test ride all these models, you'll have a much easier decision...

snydes

Staff member
I'm not sure where all the weight difference is between the MX and the MXR aside from the lack of springs in the fork. Oded does have a point about the extra power not being critical for enduro, but you will figure out what fits your needs. When the MXR was announced I said that would probably be my next bike. Later on when I demo rode a 2017 I quickly realized that it had more than enough power for my needs. I would have bought that 2017 MX but I was out of state and wasn't prepared to buy, so I ordered an MXR (from JT Motorsports, which I think is your only Maryland dealer) the next day. All in all for me the extra money was worth the better suspension alone as I really wanted it for track use.

dgedition

I also owned a Zero Fx for 2.5 years before upgrading to the Redshift EX. I used 1 brick in the Fx and can tell you that for some reason, the Redshift EX does not feel heavier, even in technical terrain.

I am not sure that buying a high end motocross bike and turning it into an endure bike is the best option. The added horsepower of the Mxr is not really needed for endure, as the bike is super strong as it is. Perhaps it will heat less.
The suspension will need work for sure. Perhaps the 2018 MX is a valid option - cost less and it's suspension, although tuned for motocross is softer and can work quite well for endure as it is.

All that said, if you have the opportunity to test ride all these models, you'll have a much easier decision...

I'm gonna have to try and get in a test ride. I know the EX is leaps and bounds ahead of the FX for off road duties its just hard to justify paying 13k for the EX knowing you can get a better spec'd MXR for 1k lower.

None of this factors in the EV credit I could get off the EX but in all honesty those are a hassle.

As weird as it sounds I was gravitating towards the MXR to stay away from the 4CS fork so the MX never really crossed my mind.

I didn’t think much about the extra power figuring I could just use throttle control and the lower modes. But everyone I know who got a chance to ride the MX said it had tons of power on tap so that’s something to think about.

The extra weight comes from all the DOT lighting and the air fork is a 6lb savings alone.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
As weird as it sounds I was gravitating towards the MXR to stay away from the 4CS fork so the MX never really crossed my mind.
That's what I initially thought as well -- the 4CS fork is the main weak spot that the MX has. That was until I started having tons of fun trail riding on the stock suspension. Alta valves their 4CS extremely well for off-road.

The stock suspension was too soft for motocross though, but Alta gave me the shim stacks that they developed for motocross, and those worked way better than the stock KYB SSS fork that I also tried.

I am a big fan of the Alta's 4CS now. The AER fork, with its need to check and fiddle with air pressure, is not an upgrade for me, especially if I have to fiddle with revalving it too.

snydes

Staff member
I'm gonna have to try and get in a test ride. I know the EX is leaps and bounds ahead of the FX for off road duties its just hard to justify paying 13k for the EX knowing you can get a better spec'd MXR for 1k lower.

None of this factors in the EV credit I could get off the EX but in all honesty those are a hassle.

I didn’t think much about the extra power figuring I could just use throttle control and the lower modes. But everyone I know who got a chance to ride the MX said it had tons of power on tap so that’s something to think about.

The extra weight comes from all the DOT lighting and the air fork is a 6lb savings alone.

I wouldn't say the MXR is any less manageable power wise than the MX, it's that you might find may not necessarily need the benefit of the MXR's extra power. I think the difference is better realized in a competition, if the suspension better suits your needs on the MXR, than I'd say the $1500 difference is a no brainer.

I as far as the weight difference I was referring to the MX vs. the MXR, I don't recall how much lighter they were advertising the difference to be. I might have only been that 6 pounds, if it was more than that I don't know where the difference is at. "2 Alta Phil" should be able to tell us :p!

Also, and I might be mistaken on this, but I was told the EX and the SM have a full 2 year warranty, so you would be getting another 12 months of coverage if you went that route.

Whatever way you go, someone here will be able to give you some feedback on their experience if you need it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It might have only been that 6 pounds, if it was more than that I don't know where the difference is at. "2 Alta Phil" should be able to tell us :p!
I remember it is 6 lb, of which 3 lb comes from the fork and 3 lb from somewhere else on the bike, not sure where. Alta claims that the MXR has 20% of all-new parts.

dgedition

I’m trying to find some time to get over and get a test ride on one of these bike but after this thread I’m pointing more towards the EX.