NACS or CCS Varg charging

motocrossmann

Alright, so I'm following up on my j1772 thread. I now understand that the Varg has no ability to convert AC to DC onboard. So, that brings me to a new question... DC Fast Charging. Is it possible to create a connector that can negotiate with either CCS or NACS to provide the proper charge to the Varg?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It should be possible. Someone just needs to add the proper CAN communication.

The Stark's 400V rating is almost the industry standard. The bike's battery is about 10 times smaller a car battery, but a low-current control should not be an issue because H-D bikes can use J1772 chargers just fine.

DC fast charging for Zero bikes is not possible because their 72V(?) voltage is too low, but the H-D LiveWire bikes can be charged "at any compatible public fast charger that uses the standard J1772 charging connector".

Marko_Flux

Alright, so I'm following up on my j1772 thread. I now understand that the Varg has no ability to convert AC to DC onboard. So, that brings me to a new question... DC Fast Charging. Is it possible to create a connector that can negotiate with either CCS or NACS to provide the proper charge to the Varg?
As a curiosity, could you paint me a picture of use cases? DC charge stations aren't usually available where dirtbikes are ridden.