New alta mxr owner

Agrace

Hello, New Alta owner here. I just purchased this yesterday took it for a test ride and everything was great. So I bought it and put it on the trailer for a 4hr ride home. I unloaded the bike and took it for a quick cruise down the road and the bike completely died. It's now showing 3 codes. Code 34,35 and 36. It's also saying Vbat low and service required pos weld. It came with the 240v quick charger and it won't charge. While I was riding it went for roughly 75% battery then shut off I attempted to get it back going and after a few attempts of trying to hit the run and start button it now shows the battery bar at zero. When I try to charge it the screen says cyle key to reset. Im at a loss and pretty frustrated at this point. I was super excited to find this bike reasonably close to me and paid alot of money for it. The previous owner has been zero help.

Any help would be appreciated. I had to push it a mile home and was furious.

Thanks,
Austin

enjoythesilenc

What does the seller say now and how was it represented? Unless you drowned the bike on the way home etc you would be very unlucky for the bike to only develop these problems after money changed hands. The seller at the same time would be very lucky that the problems didn't occur during the test ride. ITs great that we have the ability to clear codes ourselves but obviously it could be used nefariously.

Agrace

So the guy I bought it from has been pretty helpful he actually posted this bike for sale it looks like last year on this forum. His user name is flintpunk. I do remember him telling me about code 35 and 36 but he never knew how to clear codes. We have been in contact but I'm thinking I may have just bought it at the worst timing. How do we clear codes? I can't even get it to charge or anything. But who would be able to possibly help with a rebuild of the battery if it needed it?

enjoythesilenc

Ok so now its time to focus on fixing what you've got. All the codes have been discussed here but I think they all are battery related. Imbalances, stuck contactor and possibly humidity?

You might wait for the experts to chime in but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything to unplug the battery, let it set and plug it back in to see if anything changes.

Agrace

Yes I definitely want the experts on this one. I will try unplugging the battery this morning before work and letting it sit throughout the day. I am not so much frustrated that its not working, I have absolutely terrible luck all the time so at this point I'm used to it. I just want to start heading in the correct direction to getting it fixed. Is there anyone in this group that does fix batteries or is there a company it can get sent out to? I've been doing alot of reading and I'm thinking the worse and the battery needs some work. I'm very mechanical and i have been an electrician for 10 years but my area of expertise is in AC power not DC.

enjoythesilenc

Some people have had luck unsticking the welded contactor by tapping on the top of the battery case where the contactor lives. Theres a thread listing members who have the multitool setup to read whats going on with your codes. Sooner or later you will need to get multitool help or get the setup yourself. Rashid can help you with the module repair or replacement and possibly others That i havent seen post here for a while.

read as much of this forum as you can, it's all here!

Agrace

I have been doing alot of reading and I really appreciate your reply to this. I am currently at work and I disconnected the battery this morning before I left. I am going to check that when I get home. The I will try the other stuff I have read. I am going to pick up a enegizer lithium 9v today to replace the one in the module on top. I am seen people on here pulling up graphs of battery cell percentages I think? If so how do I go about getting a cord to plug into the bike?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
So the guy I bought it from has been pretty helpful he actually posted this bike for sale it looks like last year on this forum. His user name is flintpunk. I do remember him telling me about code 35 and 36 but he never knew how to clear codes. We have been in contact but I'm thinking I may have just bought it at the worst timing. How do we clear codes? I can't even get it to charge or anything. But who would be able to possibly help with a rebuild of the battery if it needed it?

Is this the bike was on the Alta Forum on FB? If so the codes were clearly reported on that bike.
I have been doing alot of reading and I really appreciate your reply to this. I am currently at work and I disconnected the battery this morning before I left. I am going to check that when I get home. The I will try the other stuff I have read. I am going to pick up a enegizer lithium 9v today to replace the one in the module on top. I am seen people on here pulling up graphs of battery cell percentages I think? If so how do I go about getting a cord to plug into the bike?

PM sent

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the bike was on the Alta Forum on FB? If so the codes were clearly reported on that bike.

Agrace

This is the bike but I did not buy it from that post. I bought it off Facebook market place and it didn't list the issues in the for sale post. I have been in contact with Rashid510 and got a quote for my battery to be fixed. I am going to try some things and if it doesn't work looks like it'll have to be sent out.

flintpunk

It wasn’t in the marketplace ad, but I DID tell you about the codes before you came out. I will also maintain that the bike came with those two codes and never gave me a problem. There are plenty of people that can back this up. I didn’t know the bike was going to die, and in my estimation, $6750 was a fair price given the codes. There was a guy on here from California who told me he could repair the pack with those codes for $1000.

E36A0233-2FC6-4419-98F6-82059493A655.png

F4F82BA3-A73B-4E3B-8190-CE59041AE0ED.png

F1F586D0-0A36-47C4-ABA6-EE66DE8F4F3C.png

Reeds79

Yes I definitely want the experts on this one. I will try unplugging the battery this morning before work and letting it sit throughout the day. I am not so much frustrated that its not working, I have absolutely terrible luck all the time so at this point I'm used to it. I just want to start heading in the correct direction to getting it fixed. Is there anyone in this group that does fix batteries or is there a company it can get sent out to? I've been doing alot of reading and I'm thinking the worse and the battery needs some work. I'm very mechanical and i have been an electrician for 10 years but my area of expertise is in AC power not DC.
Let me know how you get on fixing this and who the expert guys are. I really like these bikes but haven't bought one due these issue, batteries and software code errors , A pack especially so if we can set up a network of “Battery and software” experts to repair these issues, I’m sure these Altas will keep on going for ages!

E-Bro

Let me know how you get on fixing this and who the expert guys are. I really like these bikes but haven't bought one due these issue, batteries and software code errors , A pack especially so if we can set up a network of “Battery and software” experts to repair these issues, I’m sure these Altas will keep on going for ages!
I am in New Jersey I have a 2018 Alta EX street titles 340 miles. No codes. No issues. Mint. Plus a Brand New full super moto wheel & suspension package included. A set of trial tires on a spare set of wheels. 3 full sets of wheels included. If u are interested feel free to Message me. I will be listing in the next week.

E-Bro

I am in New Jersey I have a 2018 Alta EX street titles 340 miles. No codes. No issues. Mint. Plus a Brand New full super moto wheel & suspension package included. A set of trial tires on a spare set of wheels. 3 full sets of wheels included. If u are interested feel free to Message me. I will be listing in the next week.
Update It has a R Pack and fast charger

Reeds79

So you have changed the pack from an “A” to an “R” we’re any software updates needed? how much are you looking for it?

E-Bro

So you have changed the pack from an “A” to an “R” we’re any software updates needed? how much are you looking for it?
The dealership offered a upgraded for the pack prior to being purchased. Since day 1 it has had a R Pack and a fast Charger. When you are ready, feel free to Private message me on here. Thanks

JP racing

The dealership offered a upgraded for the pack prior to being purchased. Since day 1 it has had a R Pack and a fast Charger. When you are ready, feel free to Private message me on here. Thanks
Hey E-Bro,

I have an EX and MX both with A packs, one with a dead DC-DC section.

I am VERY interested in this R pack conversion you have... I think @Rashid510 and I discussed this as a possible solution to A pack problems but I didn't know if it would work, I guess R packs are more readily available.

Out of curiosity do you know which firmware you are using?

E-Bro

Hey E-Bro,

I have an EX and MX both with A packs, one with a dead DC-DC section.

I am VERY interested in this R pack conversion you have... I think @Rashid510 and I discussed this as a possible solution to A pack problems but I didn't know if it would work, I guess R packs are more readily available.

Out of curiosity do you know which firmware you are using?
I will have to check my display when i get home tomorrow. I am pretty sure it hasn't been updated since December 2018. As i havent updated since my purchase.

Dirt-E

Sounds like you have a module with broken bond wires. I had a corroded 0 module (at the bottom of the stack) due to water or condensation ingress. From my experience, the BMS is pretty bad at getting imbalances corrected, even small ones. Without opening the module and very closely pre-balancing each of the cell banks, you're likely to get a persistent code 35 and 36. The battery should still work, but if it cuts out on you you may need to replace the 9V battery (if memory serves me well enough). You can back-feed voltage through the headlight wires to get it to boot up, but it won't stay on.

Long story short, I was able to find a good 0 module and I had to reload the inverter firmware using the factory dongle. I still haven't cleared all of my codes yet, but it seems to at least be working well and I haven't had any shut downs since.