New Dash location, possibly safer?

Mark911

Here's something I whipped out the other day. I wanted to get the display totally off the bars completely. One for protection and second because it's such a PITA to make simple bar adjustments. I only need to see the Map selection (only once), SOC meter and any warning lights, and the last two are still clearly recognizable at a glance. What do you think, have you ever seen any crash damage in this area?

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
In the past on my ICE bikes, while I have never managed to damage any component of the instrument cluster on the bars, I have managed several times to severely dent my fuel tanks in about that location. My experience leads me to believe your proposed spot would be more damage prone than the stock location.

Perhaps it's a difference in technique between woods/trail riding and MX...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody with an MX/MXR that I know of has broken their display yet when mounted in the stock location. Right?

The display there is protected by the handlebars well enough for most types of riding and terrains. The exceptions would be crashing and tumbling in sand, doing backflips at Erzberg, and hitting handlebars with your own head.

snydes

Staff member
There was a dealer demo MXR in New York that broke the LCD. @Matt had talked about it quite awhile back. Can’t say I recall any others. Definitely seems to be more common with the EX mounting location.

Matt

E-Rider
There was a dealer demo MXR in New York that broke the LCD. @Matt had talked about it quite awhile back. Can’t say I recall any others. Definitely seems to be more common with the EX mounting location.
It was an mxr that had the cracked display. The unit still worked so the bike was rideable but there was no screen output. I think a rider head butted it or hit it with the chin part of their helmet from what I recall the guy telling me.

Mark911

Mine literally "flew off" when some guy wanted to ride my bike and high-sideded. The wiring harness was the only thing tethering it to the bike. No damage, however.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
In the past on my ICE bikes, while I have never managed to damage any component of the instrument cluster on the bars, I have managed several times to severely dent my fuel tanks in about that location. My experience leads me to believe your proposed spot would be more damage prone than the stock location.

Perhaps it's a difference in technique between woods/trail riding and MX...

I was going to say the same thing. Riding singletrack and especially in technical terrain, the side of the bike is susceptible to landing on logs, rocks, and other obstacles. I have replaced more than a couple of shrouds on my KTMs over the years. I don't ride the bike before installing radiator guards. There may not be a similar risk on a MX track.

snydes

Staff member
Not to hi jack Marks post, but since we are talking display protection/relocation options I figured I’d share this.

Here’s a little quicky I’m trying that should serve to take a wack from a chin guard to save the LCD. It’s not going to offer the overall security of the “Alta Vault”, but might be an option for someone else who doesn’t want to relocate the MX/MXR display but would like a little extra cushion.

I came across a wide roll of 1/2” adhesive backed foam, I cut out a window for the LCD and stuck a 1/8” piece of lexan on top. The foam is attached to the display with a series of small Velcro tabs so the whole thing can be easily removed for washing.

7DD42AB0-FD16-41A8-A57D-1DC35C1659C2.jpeg
F3D99549-727D-4980-A9EC-D1CA2D078EC1.jpeg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Not to hi jack Marks post, but since we are talking display protection/relocation options I figured I’d share this.

Here’s a little quicky I’m trying that should serve to take a wack from a chin guard to save the LCD. It’s not going to offer the overall security of the “Alta Vault”, but might be an option for someone else who doesn’t want to relocate the MX/MXR display but would like a little extra cushion.

I came across a wide roll of 1/2” adhesive backed foam, I cut out a window for the LCD and stuck a 1/8” piece of lexan on top. The foam is attached to the display with a series of small Velcro tabs so the whole thing can be easily removed for washing.

View attachment 2368
View attachment 2369
Need to cut holes to see the check engine and fault lights.

Oh... sorry I forgot, you do not want the see it! :LOL:

Mark911

Careful and tedious application of blank wrap material. Anyone can do it. If I had a set of new "white" shrouds and wanted black I'd probably just dye them. RIT Dye More works pretty good after adding the proper amount of acetone. Need a BIG pot to do a shroud, however.

Top Bottom