New to Alta and E-bikes

CR119

Hi everyone. Long-time gas motocross rider (other bikes are all Hondas '02 CR250, '04 CR125, '06 CR125, and just sold my 2019 CRF450) that recently bought a 2017 Alta MX and 2022 KTM Freeride because I wanted to build a motocross track and ride on my own property in Oregon without bothering all the neighbors. Just finished modifying the Alta MX to my liking and wanted to say that I appreciate all the info on the forum and users. It helped a lot. Few initial thoughts that many on this forum probably know but may be helpful to those browsing or considering.

1. Electric bikes don't kill the fun and are exceptional on tight, technical trails. If you have experience downhill mountain biking, the KTM freeride is a somewhat similar experience with a lot more control and stability.
2. The KTM Freeride is highly under rated and a lot of fun for trail riding. Definitely not for jumping or motocross though but the perfect bike for beginners and still a lot of fun for experienced riders. I have an enduro track at home and get about 35 mins of hard riding before I have to charge. For tight technical trails, I get about 1 hour and 10 to 20 mins of good riding in. The power curve is really smooth and better programmed than the Alta, but lacking HP if you are trying to ride aggressively.
3. Left hand rear brake was initially tough to get used to but now prefer it over the foot brake even for motocross. You get to stand to the balls of your feet the entire time and no difference between right and left corners.
4. The Alta MX is an awesome bike, but the design of the subframe/rear fender assembly makes me never want to change plastic ever again (just couldn't live with the yellow plastic). Need to stiffen up the suspension quite a bit (I'm 185 lbs and an intermediate B motocross rider) and may get some race tech gold valves, but otherwise fun to rip on the motocross track.

Thanks to users sadams (for the bike), VINSANITY (for the plastic), and Gtrbo (for the info)

-Stephen

IMG_0533.jpeg

Top Bottom