New to Alta Forum need sone guidance

AJLats17

Hi all been watching videos and reading up on Alta’s abs your forum has been so helpful so thanks to all who take time to out all this info together. I think I might have found one & im going to look at one either tomorrow or within next few days. Does anyone who has access to one of these multi tool kits live either in NJ where I live or close to Boston or Cape Cod where I’ll be going to look at an Alta? If so please let me know. Please email me and I’ll give you my cell phone to get in touch. Bike shows very low miles but I believe has a check engine light on & I wanted to figure out if it’s anything I need to worry about. I did read that a bunch of 2018 mxrs will throw a code from the inverter throttle recall and I checked VIN it is in the range of VINs under this recall, if that’s all it is I’m not to concerned bc I know based on your forum I can fix the firmware, so I’m hoping that’s the code. What code would that show if it were just throttle recall? What codes do I need to stay away from? Bike has less than 50 miles on it so I’m little concerned it’s already throwing codes. Also if I do purchase bike how can I purchase one of those diagnostic plugs to make my own kit? I thought I saw a link on this forum somewhere to purchase one. Thanks all fingers crossed I’ll have a well working Alta soon. I’ve been searching for a 2018 mxr for a while now.

Andrew

snydes

Staff member
The perfect person to help you is in Connecticut. Send a PM to member @OneLapper
Short answer is the odds are that the code that bike has is more likely than not a common issue in the battery that is not an easy fix. Onelapper is well versed in these bikes and has experience in repairing many of the issues with them. Good luck.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Also if I do purchase bike how can I purchase one of those diagnostic plugs to make my own kit? I thought I saw a link on this forum somewhere to purchase one.
Welcome to the Forum, Andrew.

Here is the thread that you will want to read:

AJLats17

Welcome to the Forum, Andrew.

Here is the thread that you will want to read:
I learned the bike has 50 miles on it and has code 36 Is this something that can b fixed? Should I not buy a bike with this code? If it can be fixed who are people that could fix it? I really want a 2018 mxr but don’t want to buy something I ultimately won’t be able to use.

If easier please call me 6099174669. I’m new and need all your guys help so I don’t waste money.

Thanks,

Andrew