Poll: Are you using the original Stark Varg Stand/Charger as intended?

Are you using the original Stark Varg Stand/Charger as intended?

• I am using the Stark Varg Stand/Charger as originally intended and I like it.

• I am using the Stark Varg Stand/Charger as originally intended and I hate it.

• I have separated the Charger from the bike Stand and kept it in the original container.

• I have removed the Charger from the original container and found a better container.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The design decision to combine the bike stand with the battery charger has received mixed reviews. Some thought it was cool, whereas others outright refused to lug around the clunky contraption that weighs 41 lbs (19 kg) and came up with various alternative solutions that separated the charger from the stand and allowed them to use other bike stands of their choice.

It would be curious to know how many owners are actually using the original Stark Varg Stand/Charger as intended, and how many found alternatives.

1724034179365.png

xrjuice

I see you do not like lifting your 7000 W generator either, probably running it right out of the back of your van, LOL! (y)
You are correct, and I have had a faulty generator catch fire in that same spot, I'm also embarrassed of the noise, I have an extension for the exhaust and keep a fire extinguisher at each door, still dodgy I know but it works until I figure out something better.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, these poll results are embarrassing for whoever at Stark Future approved the design decision to combine the charger with the bike stand — only 16% of owners like it.

It is time to offer an alternative charger box that does not require us to lug around an extra 20 lbs of aluminum.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The Alta Rapid charger in a Pelican case weighs 27 lbs. The plastic case is 6 lbs and the charger internals and the long cables are 21 lbs. All the cables are neatly tucked inside when the charger is not in use.

I could repurpose one of my Alta Rapid chargers to hold the Stark charger internals instead, but then the box will say "Alta Motors" on it. :ROFLMAO:

$_1.jpg

But then @Fog 25 's design above with no rubber flaps might actually be easier to use. Steve -- do you like flaps or no flaps?

Fog 25

The Alta Rapid charger in a Pelican case weighs 27 lbs. The plastic case is 6 lbs and the charger internals and the long cables are 21 lbs. All the cables are neatly tucked inside when the charger is not in use.

I could repurpose one of my Alta Rapid chargers to hold the Stark charger internals instead, but then the box will say "Alta Motors" on it. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 11791

But then @Fog 25 's design above with no rubber flaps might actually be easier to use. Steve -- do you like flaps or no flaps?
No flaps a lot easier to just rap the cables around the charger plus you have extra room for adapters. I put the red plastic over the wires and connectors for a little extra protection. Been working great 👍

Theo

I haven't voted because I use it as intended but neither I would say that I like it, nor that I hate it:
• at home, I like it because it's convenient but I wish it was shorter,
• at the track, I dislike it; I wish it was possible to quickly slide the charger out of the stand with some latch maybe, without making the stand too weak to support the bike. If that was possible, I would only carry the charger to the track and not the entire stand + charger assembly.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't voted because I use it as intended but neither I would say that I like it, nor that I hate it:
• at home, I like it because it's convenient but I wish it was shorter,
• at the track, I dislike it; I wish it was possible to quickly slide the charger out of the stand with some latch maybe, without making the stand too weak to support the bike. If that was possible, I would only carry the charger to the track and not the entire stand + charger assembly.

In other words, you would like two chargers:
1) a stationary charger to keep at home near or under your favorite bike stand, and
2) a light and compact charger to travel with.

I wish my Alta chargers had worked with the Stark. Then I would have had just that!

Looks like there might be a market for second chargers, if the price is right, probably ~$300.